Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Altair Astro 120mm guide rings dont fit ST80?

Just got our ST80 and Altair Astro 120mm guide rings as i read on a thread here thwy were the right size.

However having bolted the Altair 180mm Losmandy style plate to the back of the WO rings the larger diameter end of the ST 80 doesnt fit through the rings and the smaller end is tight. Looks like they will be going back to the shop and getting replaced with the 150mm's

However do you definitely need rings to adjust (im assuming the answer is yes) as i can use the ST80 rings to mount straight on the Losmandy plate, albeit its not pretty.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: Im having a dim moment! they it fine over the main body (not the fat end!) However how have others got their mounted? Where can i buy some low profile head allen key bolts from? Got given four earlier but need more, any ideas?

Solution is to put the rings in the right place on the body and not on the 'hood'!

I do however need to get some low profile socket bolts in order that they sit flush with the Losmandy plate as the only ones i have sit proud meaning i can mount the rings where i need to as they hit the heads of the bolts that hold the plate to the WO rings.

Any ideas where i can pick up some low profile socket bolts?

I have a equinox 80 in WO rings and 110mm guide rings bolted directly to the WO rings with an ST80 in the guide rings. The WO rings are the right distance apart for both the Equinox and the piggy backed ST80. I have to split the st80 to get it in the guide rings though, but it works perfectly. No plate between the main scope and the guide scope.

As pictured here, this is the setup i bought

http://stargazerslounge.com/completed/110097-neq6-pro-equinox-80-imaging-items-baader-filters-qhy5-atik-16ic.html

I picked various bolts from ebay, depends on what sort you need. My Skywatcher rings for my Equinox 120 ended up being BSW.

I have some M6, or 3/8 BSW, think I have some 3/8 UNC somewhere aswell, let me know which ones you need and I can send some to you. They will need cutting down to size with a hacksaw as they have approx 20mm of thread.

I also use the Altair Astro hardware and started off with the 180mm losmandy plate when I was using a 80mm scope. You dont necessarily need low profile heads as guide rings dont have to bolt up near where the scope rings are.

If you look at the piccy you will see that the dovetail is upside down, this is because the holes to bolt it all to the scope rings are only counterbored for cap head screws on one side.

Edit, sorry had a moment, not 3/8, 1/4"

post-17668-133877482239_thumb.jpg

Thanks, for your kind offer but i have just found this place, looks like it should do the trick:

Socket Capscrews Low Head DIN 7984

The key was what to search for 'Low Head Capscrews'

Looks like they have updated the plate and the rings as the holes on the plate are now countersunk on both side. Like you i have it mounted upside down but to mount on the WO rings i am using the inside row of holes (has 3 holes on a row, the ones you have your guide rings attached to) and the guidescope rings need to go in the two hole row and they clash fractionally on the underside due to the width of the WO rings, hence the need for flush mount capscrews.

Thanks all, now just to solve the laptop dliema in my other thread!

Good stuff, the certainley look like they will do the job, had a look at your link and then looked up at the white board in front of me and saw a Stigs business card in front of me...lol. I'll look up next time and then I can add that to the suggestions....lol.

Archived