Spend my money guys....

I have come into an unexpected £60 languishing in my Paypal account.

I fancy a nice Wideangle 2" EP. If YOU had £60 to spend on an EP what would it be?

Alternativly if you can think of something better for my kit (listed in the sig) please suggest it!

Its that or use it to pay the leccy bill, and who needs those nasty lights anyway!

(I reserve the right for this thread to be completely hypothetical and purely fun!)

Hmmm Quality of Televue vs 72deg FOV....

Now I have a dilemma. Its probably going to be a low power EP (and i kow 60 quid isnt a lot in quality terms but it is as much as I paid for a set of 4 with filters and case!) I am considering a low power on probably a 25mm

Or is there a bit of essential kit I am missing from my lineup...

What is the opinion of these. For some reason I am convinced i would like a 2" EP. Is they worth it or am I just being size addicted?

I'm a big fan of around 30 x magnification for low power, DSO drooling.

That would mean say a 20mm for your 130p, and a 32mm for your 200p?

I get on great with a 66/70 degree afov with low power too.

WO SWAN type or clones of the 20mm in 1.25" and 32mm in 2", are pretty cheap new, and even better value secondhand. You should be able to get the two secondhand within your budget. :D

The 20mm is ok for eye relief if a glasses wearer, and I think the eye relief is ok with the 32mm as well. I've not tried one yet, though have read good reports of the Antares, etc., but I have a 38mm on its way to get me that around 30 x mag in my new (to me) 1200mm dob - I immediately missed 30 x mag as soon as it wasn't available to me (eta: my ST120 30 x mag EP - a SWAN 20mm 1.25" type - giving 60 x mag in the dob).

Also, 25mm seems to be the crossover point. Longer than that wide field, needs 2", shorter than that, 1.25" is fine. I have no complaints with the views of my Hyperion 21mm, 13mm, and 8mm EP's in 1.25" mode.

I should add, you will indeed get eyepieces with better outer edge correction in faster 'scopes. Generally at a significant price hike, and I must admit, with a widefield view, I find that isn't the area I look at, and it doesn't seem to detract from how pleasant the view is to me at all.

HTH

This is what you want...

Meade Series 5000 20mm 1.25 inch Eyepiece SWA 07665 on eBay (end time 06-Oct-10 20:24:29 BST)

It'll arrive in a little over a week from Canada and is my favourite EP in my collection (so much so I've just tracked down a 16mm from France and am on the look out for others).

The price is an absolute bargain - Google and look at what they sell for over here. The view is gorgeous. Eye relief isn't huge but passable. Works well even in my f4.5.

I know it says he's sold 10 but he already listed 105 of them before and sold out. Nearly everyone at my astro society has bought one (after looking through mine as I was the guinea pig and ordered 1st).

Go on you won't regret it!

Ogri,

I'd heard series 5000 stuff was good but I've gotta say, having tried it, I think it's right up there with the best and I do have a Nagler in my collection - ok not as wide a field but away from the really short f/ls I do find SWAs just as nice. It is usable I think with glasses but you would probably have to move a little to see the whole fov.

Crowlord,

Whilst this may not be the f/l or barrel size you were thinking of I think this is the kind of deal that doesn't come up too often.

I have bought the same Meade 5000 SWA 20mm as Haitch and from the same Ebay seller and can confirm two things:

1/ the seller is awesome

2/ the eyepiece is awesome

Seriously, it will knock spots of the Hyperion 21mm in a fast scope and go knocking on the door of a Panoptic to pick a fight. Like Haitch, i was so impressed i went looking for more and bought the 34mm :D Which is simply wow and definitely moving into 35mm Panoptic territory.

Would be interested in a link for the 16mm too.

ok Russ, now you've done it. Where did you find the 34mm?

You'll have to look to find 'em at a good price. Looked around some US stores and most won't ship Meade EPs over here - all that grey market warranty malarky.

I won this 16mm on Ebay yesterday http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=250693327857&view=all&tid=0

The next on my list is a 28mm but I'll have to wait a while to afford that.

The 34mm gives a little too large exit pupil in the dob at my age.

ok Russ, now you've done it. Where did you find the 34mm?

As Haitch says, some of the US Dealers are not happy to deal with the UK when it comes to Meade stuff. But no such problems with Optcorp or Agena. My 34mm was £96 delivered but they no longer stock that item.

Had a look on Ebay and the cheapest now is the 28mm for £103 + £16 delivery.

wow 79 Euro. That's tempting!

Strange how a German dealer has managed to get the sale prices, yet the UK dealers are still stuck with sky high prices.

I'd not put my money on getting one from them yet - it says 3-5 days availability so I'd hold my breath until it acually ships. I think it's about 50/50 you'll be getting a refund and an apology.

Still worth a punt though I think. If anyone gives it a go let us know as I'll be looking to them for my 28mm when the time comes if there's none on Ebay cheaper.

Archived