Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

to mod or not to mod?

The 1000D has a decent Ha response pre Mod. so you could trial it before committing to the modification. I have seen some nice images from the non Modded camera. The modification is fiddly, but not difficult as long as you take care. Take heed of the preparatory work and requirements before you start. They are there to help you get through it.

Ron.:blob10:

Honestly unless you are uuber into AP i would not bother getting a 1000D modded.

The 1000D is a FINE camera and is more then capable of taking GREAT images unmodded.

I just dont see the need to mod an SLR camera as a newbie because if you do it will pretty much limit that camera to night time images.

We all pay enough for DSLR's..........................

I personally want mine to take great daytime images and very good night time images.

Honestly unless you are uuber into AP i would not bother getting a 1000D modded.

The 1000D is a FINE camera and is more then capable of taking GREAT images unmodded.

I just dont see the need to mod an SLR camera as a newbie because if you do it will pretty much limit that camera to night time images.

We all pay enough for DSLR's..........................

I personally want mine to take great daytime images and very good night time images.

thats exactly what i wanted to hear,tbh the 1000d is strictly for astro use, i use a sony hx1 for "normal" stuff, but if i can still get great images unmodded then i would prefer to leave it that way (for now!) thanks everyone for great advice again!

thats exactly what i wanted to hear,tbh the 1000d is strictly for astro use, i use a sony hx1 for "normal" stuff, but if i can still get great images unmodded then i would prefer to leave it that way (for now!) thanks everyone for great advice again!

The 1000D will give you great images (obviously better images if guided through a scope). The only difference between a modded and unmodded camera is that the modded cam will have less light pollution in the images. Its an easy thing to remove the light pollution in images on an unmodded cam.

Why bother when you can get the same results with a few mins playing around with images in Photoshop etc with an unmodded cam?

Modding an SLR cam really i think is only for the seriously semi-pro astro-photographer.

Otherwise i cant see the need or the expense.

Other will disagree...............but as a "newbie" to AP myself.....................i dont see the need.

Sorry that not exactly correct...

The main reason for modding the camera is to improve its Ha response ...

Peter...

I knew it was a bit more technical then i laid out.

But honestly can anyone here say that an unmodded camera with stacked images (using DSS) doesnt produce the goods?

Sure it all depends on your level of expectation, but an unmodded 1000D WILL

produce the goods if you stack the images in DSS etc.

I recently stacked about 6x5s images taken with my unmodded 450D on a fixed tripod and Andromeda Galaxy was VERY plain to see in the image. I even got the double in Perseus in the same frame.

Having just done the mod I'd say as its an astro cam do it

follow the instructions and

take your time

If I can do it I'm sure almost anybody can

M31 is not a good example not a huge load of Ha

try somewhere like PB (Peters fav area Cygnus)

I did a NAN at the weekend lots more neb but cos I forgot the field flattener for the 60mm Tak its not for public view

Steve

Archived