NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is the Skymax 180 Pro really that good?

Ags

I've looked through a couple of 180's and they are a very nice bit of kit, like a lot of Skywatcher's kit it's most of the performance of something more expensive (in this case the Intes Micro M715) for a fraction of the price.

Personally, I think it's a bit of a one trick pony (albeit a very good one) because it has such a long focal length and a pretty narrow FOV. Great for planets and small objects like planetary nebulae but not much use on the Pleades :blob10:.... The f10/f12 Maks such as the Skymax 150 and most of the IM models offer a little bit more flexibility especially when mated with a reducer. If you plan ahead, cooldown isn't an issue (you could buy something like a Lymax SCT cooler to speed things up) and low power observing is possible while it's going through that process. Get a dew shield and/or a heater band and you should be alright.

IIRC, most of the IM mak-casses greater than 7" have fans built in.

HTH

Tony..

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Skymax 180 Pro is my main scope.

a) I have no problem with dewing, and all I use is a home-made dew shield made from a shiny paper gift bag and some Sellotape.

:) My finderscope's never hit the limits alignment-wise, so I'm not quite sure what's up with ABs setup to prevent alignment.

c) As for cooling - despite not being particularly well-organised in general, even I am able to remember to get it out for cooldown in advance.

d) Focus image shift - yeah, it's annoying - I can't deny that. The clothes-peg focus-lever helps though.

Sure, there's a number (a very small number) of night-sky objects that don't fit into the field-of-view. Doesn't bother me. We're not exactly short of targets to see, are we? :blob10:

Love the scope - really love it.

It looks like I might be moving to an area with much higher light pollution, so I think the only astronomy I will be able to do in my back yard will be high-power stuff, like doubles and planets. The Skymax 180 seems like the best option - still quite light and manageable but offering some optical fireworks.

With a limited range of targets, I imagine branching out into imaging might keep me busy. My idea is that I could couple the Skymax to a 2x or 3x barlow and a webcam and do some meaningful planetary imaging without too much extra expense. A 3x barlow would give a focal length of 8m with the Skymax!

great_bear, what do you use for your 'wide-field' eye piece?

GB - the finderscope issue is quite well known with these scopes.

Basically the finder shoes base is flat (cos on most scopes its mounted to a falt surface) on the SKymax 180 its mounted on the rear cell of the scope which actually has a shallow incline towards to the rear of the scope - the upshot is the finder shoe isnt flat its canted at a very shallow angle. The angle is enough so that when the finder is added theres just not quite enough adjustment to centre the finder to the scopes optics. Its out by about (visually) 1cm.

The fix is to shim the finder shoe a bit or remove the finder shoew and grind it down a bit to compensate for the slope of the scopes rear cell - in fact the fix for mine if I keep it is to put the Stallervuie Finder on it with the low profile finder ring I have which will get round it.

Great_bear... you are making my mouse hover over the `add to cart` button! I would really like to see through one first though, to make my own mind up about it in general and in particular the focus image shift.

Ags... I have a dob for deep sky visual, but with my local light pollution I am thinking like you, I might as well spend some time getting decent views of the planets.

Astro_Baby... Thanks for the finder tip. I could easily cope with re figuring the finder shoe, I would probably grind it down.

GB - the finderscope issue is quite well known with these scopes.

Hi AB,

I don't doubt what you're saying, but I simply don't have it, nor does everyone else complain about it so it's not a universal problem with this scope. Perhaps at some point during production this issue has been fixed. Maybe the finder bracket has been changed. Is your Mak 180 new or second hand?

theres just not quite enough adjustment to centre the finder to the scopes optics.

Just been outside to double-check that I'm not talking nonsense, but no - there's no problem with finder alignment on this scope - and there's adjustment room to spare, too.

I had the 150 and did,nt like it at all...poor fit n finish (when compared to say an equinox), image shift was such a problem that i had to organize a focuser for it after selling it to its new owner.

In no way can these scopes be considered as light either for their size.

However as a Mak they are relatively inexpensive and do offer value for money.

Brian

It looks like I might be moving to an area with much higher light pollution, so I think the only astronomy I will be able to do in my back yard will be high-power stuff, like doubles and planets. The Skymax 180 seems like the best option - still quite light and manageable but offering some optical fireworks.

With a limited range of targets, I imagine branching out into imaging might keep me busy. My idea is that I could couple the Skymax to a 2x or 3x barlow and a webcam and do some meaningful planetary imaging without too much extra expense. A 3x barlow would give a focal length of 8m with the Skymax!

great_bear, what do you use for your 'wide-field' eye piece?

For meaningful focal lengths remember that many webcams and other CCD/CMOS based cameras are optimally matched to the resolution of the scope at around F/20, though for sufficiently bright objects F/30 is OK (Mars in particular, Jupiter on a good night). This is why I use a Meade 2x and 3x TeleXtender on my F/10 scope. On the F/15 Skymax, a 3x Barlow would be a waste: go for a 1.5x and 2x instead. BTW the Vixen Flip Mirror I have is an absolute must (also available from other brands). You just centre the planet in the EP inserted in the right-angle port, flip the mirror up, and you have your planet in the field of view of the webcam.

I haven't had a problem with the finder on mine either - lots of adjustment room to spare too.

Cool down time is a killer on mine and keep it outside. Maybe I just don't get seeing good enough to use it. 3 years on and I'm still waiting for the best of it...

Image shift is annoying, especially when focussing through a webcam. It moves from one end of the FOV to the other when I change direction.

Mark

that's a shame Mark :blob10:

I've had my mak (f15) for only a few months and I've already used it more than the Cape in the last yr !

A fan would help on the Skymax-pretty obvious once you've seen the benefits of a fan assisted cooled Mak. I keep mine bythe basement door and if things look like they might be reasonable I stick the fan on and open the door- but then I have a basement.

I had the 150 and did,nt like it at all...poor fit n finish (when compared to say an equinox)

Be fair though - the Equinox scopes are finished to exceptional standards - way above Sky-Watcher's normal level of fit and finish - and are priced accordingly. The Maks are finished to a better standard than some of the the Sky-Watcher Newtonian scopes are.

One thing I didn't mention about my scope-in-a-bathtub cooling method is that I leave the caps off the back and front of the scope, and tilt the rear end very slightly upwards to allow warm air to escape from the tube. I'd imaging this helps compared to leaving the back capped.

Anyone any ideas what would be a relatively cheap way of adding a fan to a 180? I'm not convinced enough by it to spend any real money on it yet.

How about stick a vacuum cleaner on the end outside in the cold air, then allow the cold air to rush into the vacuum created. Do it a few times and see if that decreases cooldown time. Crazy!!!! :blob10:

leave the caps off the back and front of the scope, and tilt the rear end very slightly upwards to allow warm air to escape from the tube. I'd imaging this helps compared to leaving the back capped.

I do this for all my scopes whilst setting up and aligning the mount etc. Take the cap off the open end and point it upwards enough to let any warm air rise.

Anyone any ideas what would be a relatively cheap way of adding a fan to a 180?

How about stick a vacuum cleaner on the end outside in the cold air, then allow the cold air to rush into the vacuum created. Do it a few times and see if that decreases cooldown time. Crazy!!!! :blob10:

Some tubing and a small 12v maglev fan ?? Personall I'd avoid the vacuum cleaner method. But take some inspiration from the Lymax Cat cooler

If someone ever finds out HOW to remove the corrector cell off the end of these things (Or at least my MAK150!) I'd be interested. Aside: Those "rivets" on the 150 are of course M2.5 hex screws. Idem the 180? E.G. a slightly shorter dovetail bar on the 150 might facilitate attachment of a dew shield... and more besides. :blob10:

By analogy, The MAK127 has a threaded corrector cell - Just grip the OTA between the knees and twist... I sense a "brave volunteer" is needed. :hello2:

P.S. The price of these MAKS does encourage a bit of experimentation, thoughbut.

I would not want to be drilling holes into the OTA of an "AstroPhysics" (whatever). :)

GB - mines a very early one. So they may have corrected the problem later on. Its only an issue with the SKywatcher finder. FOr the one time mine has been used I shimmed the rear of the finder fitting with a bit of carboard and it worked ok.

Phil - a grind down might be problematic on the shoe as you;d have to remove the rear cell of the scope. I doubt the findershoe nuts are captive on this thing and I dont want to find out the hard way. Taking the rear cell off may cause the scope to drop collimation (thats a dont know there). From what I have read Maks are seldom cloomatiable well without a proprt optical set-up rig. I know people say they have done it but I have read enough articles by Mak'sperts' who ay its not really possible. AGain ist nots something I want to find out just yet until I know if I will keep the scope.

If it did perform I'd strip it down (so everyone can get a guide to doing stuff with it) and within the strip down I'd have the rear plate drilled out for a fan with a cap over the fan to make sure grot doesnt enter when the fan isnt in use. I'd also have a Losmandy dovetail fitted to it as well as flock the interior of the tube.

I'd also fit a better focuser on the back of it.

The tech problems with the scope (long cool down, dew magnet features, iffy focuser, finder alignment) can all be resolved easy enough with some time and patience but before I invest I want some views firts to convince me the pain of upgrading it is worth it.

Archived