Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New eye piece

Now Jupiter is back again, I want to start paying it some serious attention.

I have an Orion Optics 12" dob (F5.3) and want an eyepiece that will work well on the planet and with my scope.

I have a TAL 10mm plossl and I could use a Barlow, but I prefer not to, just personal preference!

Budget upto about £100

Thanks in advance

Suspect that one limiting factor will be the viewing in the UK, seems that many consider that 200x is as much as you can expect.

That means an eyepiece in the region of 7.5mm for your scope.

SCS do Orion ED2 eyepieces at about £70-75.

Astronomica do clones at £50.

Are TV Radians about the £100 mark?

Problem waiting for a second hand one to appear is that you have to wait.:):confused:

From experience I have had better views of Jupiter at 60x through a small refractor then through a 14" SCT with 150-200x 2 nights later and under very similar conditions.:o

I have the same scope but have been using my 6" f11 for Jupiter. The views are much more contrasty and stay sharper for longer than the 12".

I have found that the 8mm Radian is good but prefer the view through my 13mm Ethos despite lower mag. it's much sharper view for longer and you can see more detail eventually. I really need a 10mm and will be hunting for a 10mm Radian soon.

Occasionally the seeing will be good enough for my 6-3 Nagler zoom but not often, this is mainly a doubles/lunar eyepiece.

once I have the 8mm Radian and the 10mm Radian I'll be comparing for a while and the most used will be replaced with an Ethos of that size.

The Radians are superb for the money £100 used and highly recommended in this scope; the Ethos are something else though, just awesome.

Archived