Hey everyone.

I've just seen something very strange moving across the sky in a southerly direction as i was looking east towards jupiter... now, I've either gone completely mad or this thing was glowing bright orange, like a fireball!!!

Did anyone else see this?? ;):eek::mad:

Richard.

P.S. I'm not making this up nor was it a chinese lantern, it was moving very fast!!

I did just see a meteor run below Vega approx east to west maybe remnants of Perieds or a rogue meteor that you saw?

No way, it was moving fast from north to south. I was trying to locate M57 at the time when something caught my eye. I'd say it was 3 times the size of jupiter, looking at the sky from a seated position in an easterly direction... I've never seen anything like it; it was huge and mesmerising!! ;)

Was there a blue spot or haze in the middle of the ball or corona? If so, I'd say it was a Typhoon. They are still testing them and spend a lot of time zooming up and down around there.

The strangest thing I ever saw was a Lightning heading straight up at dusk many years ago. I thought at first it looked like a silver cross raising into the sky. Second coming and all that. ;)

It honestly looked like a ball of fire moving across the sky, it certainly was weird... and I haven't been drinking! lol

Wish I had my camera with me! :-(

I think I found M57, but like M31, it looks dull; if I look at it using my peripheral vision, I can see it a bit better.

Strangely enough I too was viewing Jupiter this evening when I spotted something similar floating by to the south and it was travelling very fast. However, in my case a quick check with the binos confirmed it was a Chinese lantern. I see them almost every time I'm stargazing for more than an hour now.

Thank goodness for that, thought I was going mad! ;)

I thought chinese lanterns moved slower than that, but I guess I'm wrong. Still, at least ithas been confirmed now. lol

Digz: would taking an image of M57 come out looking viewable, i.e. you can look at it properly? What scope were you using/what camera?

Jupiter looked a lovely sight tonight and I could make out a few more cloud belts using my tal 2x barlow and 7.5mm super plossl ep. :-)

Basildon, Essex, UK

Must have been good seeing tonight as I also found I could clearly see four cloud belts at mags 90-180x.

I also spent about an hour or so checking out star clusters around Cassiopeia and even had a meteor shoot across my FOV followed shortly thereafter by a satellite slowly drifting across the same FOV. All in all it was a good nights viewing.

I dont think Ive ever seen a chinese lantern, what locations are we all in? UK? Europe? Farther afield?

Never seen one myself except burning in the night sky, looks like a paper bag with a candle or suchlike below to give off heat to lift the bag. And I guess all those saying they seen one will be in the Uk, seem to just as popular as fireworks now.

Jim

@ Milkyjoe I am in the middle of doing some darks for M57. I have been using my Nikon D200 @ prime focus on my Skywatcher 250P DS reflector. A single shot of M57 at 120s (which is what I am using as I am not autoguiding) and ISO 800 shows up the ring and colour quite clearly. Keep an eye out tomorrow as once processed Ill post here in the right forum.

Strangely enough I too was viewing Jupiter this evening when I spotted something similar floating by to the south and it was travelling very fast. However, in my case a quick check with the binos confirmed it was a Chinese lantern. I see them almost every time I'm stargazing for more than an hour now.

I've noticed the trend is becoming even more common - I am seeing Chinese Lanterns being sold in lots of high street shops now! ;)

I've noticed the trend is becoming even more common - I am seeing Chinese Lanterns being sold in lots of high street shops now! ;)

Me too! Generally about £1 each. Many of them have thin wire frames but some of the latest ones I've noticed, have thin bamboo frames. I think the idea is too make them biodegradable and thus more Farmer friendly as they don' like them landing in their fields and getting chopped up in their animal feed or so I read somewhere.

Archived