Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Light 8inch Dob & Celestron Goto

just looking

Way back Many moons ago,begining of July 2010

we bought a skywatcher Skyliner 200p Flocked dob off Stafford-Stargazer (Gaz)

Due to weather,Clouds,Rain,Work,it has never seen Daylight,

We also bought 2 prs of binoculars around the same time.

Psyger 10X50 and Celestron skymasters 50x70.

these have only seen the undercarrage of a couple of planes,

and Recently A Celestron slt60 goto.

FINALLY: Last night the 29th Aug was the first time we was able to get out in the back garden around 9.30

we got all the equipment out,

Along with our Swivel chairs,lol armed first with the binoculars,we just surfed the sky looking at stars,not that impressed really

as I Could already see these with my naked eye,then as my eyes got used to the darkness more and more appeared,

Millions of them in fact.we was looking for the 2 brightest stars to set the goto up.

but we couldn't find these as to us all was bright,so we couldn't set it up.plus in the dark and not knowing where to send the goto to

and total newbies,I Am not impressed with the goto,too fiddely for me I Think along with No patience,This is just me so Im Afraid the Goto has to Go.

The Moon then came up through the trees and looking through Malc's bino's on a tripod.was a real eye opener.

I Saw all the craters on the moon.WOW Fantastic.

it was very bright to.

Malc set the 8inch Dob up,on Jupiter,Wow the colours was lovely

and even saw the 4 moons perfect shape.

Then to the Moon,whiter than white And when you see the craters

for the first time,what a eyeopener.;)

What a Fantastic night we had and well worth the long wait.

The trouble is Now I WANT ANOTHER DOB. Thanks Gaz the Dob you sold us is Perfect...:mad:

OK here's 2 pics I Took pointing a old Finipix instant Camera down the e.p of the scope.just clicking and hoping.

it looks smooth on the pic for some reason.

I Know they won't win p.o.w.but its my pic of the week.lol

a>

2vkn7m8.jpg

lol 10inch- Maybe next year,

No another 8inch will do flocked of course.

Can I Just advise any newbies reading this

I Think learning the stars through binoculars first

what many people advise you to do is really a good idea.!!!

Congratulations on first light....I don't know how you managed to wait so long for the right time. I was blown away with my first light in the Dob ....Jupiter and the moons were fantastic...didn't get much colour though. I probably b******d the collimation up, I find it all a bit confusing!!...Anyway well done and glad you both enjoyed it.....My next viewing session will be tomorrow night, clouds permitting.

So your going to get a 2nd 8" dob? you crazy people. I actually think 8" is perfect, the view is not much worse than the 10" but it is sooo much smaller and easier to move about, I carry my 10" dob in one piece and its quite awkward.

Thanks Guys

another 8 inch then it is.

greedy arnt I lol

but we are both into it so need 2.

Malc was fed up of me asking him to put the e.p in the goto as I Couldn't see in the dark. so most of the night he was trying to sort me out with the goto

2 8inch dobs share e.p jobs a good one.lol

Sounds like a fun first session fumbling round in the dark lol - that's the easy bit - now you just need to learn a years worth of constellations and objects and you're set - simples!

I'd suggest use of a red light - the head band ones are good if you don't mind lookng like a cyclops hehe!

Glad you got to use the scopes at last and congrats on your first ever session ;)

Sounds like you had a lot of fun, i'm glad you were finally able to use the scope. ;) A planisphere is a great way to learn the sky, all you need is a red light and your eyes although iirc, some of the planispheres also include some binocular objects of interest.

Thanks Brantuk/Carol

Malc has put a outdoor light up yesturday with a red fireglow light in

it was a lot better but think we need another one on the other side.

lord only knows what the neighbours over the back will think.lol

we was out last night saw the space station pass,seemed very low last night

just looked like a silver bullet.we was trying to work out what stars was what

but had to give up as the clouds rolled in.

Will give the goto another go,but we can only get out there weekends (work)

till the dark nights come anyway.

its funny as the dog comes out and sits with us,well till it gets too cold then shes back in the house,

we sit on the swivel chairs,and she has a padded cushion on the floor

by the side of us.

Anyone know where I Can get a pr of binoculars for the dog.lol

Archived