Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Imaging scope and Mount

I've just ordered a new Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro OTA and EQ5 PRO GOTO from FLO online.

Cant wait for it to arrive now. I've already got a Canon DSLR and webcam for guiding, just gotta make up the guide scope now similar to a thread on here already by Michael Morris using the finder scope.

Anyone got suggestions on programs I should be looking to either purchase or download for free???

Claire wants us to purchase Maxim DL but I dont think we can afford it.

cheers

Neil

P.S - Will be uploading a few items for sale soon to pay for the new kit. CG5 mount, 130p skywatcher and some eyepieces etc.

I also went for AstroArt 4.0 instead of Maxim. Maxim is a prodigious programme and if you think you will be sticking with this endeavour it might be worth getting in there at the beginning. What puts me off now is the thought of learning a new programme.

However, AA4 is pretty good though the instructions are highly incomplete - and it is way cheaper than Maxim. I do like stacking in DSS because it handles rotation whereas AA only aligns along x and y.

Have you got a fied flattener or flattener-reducer? I think you'll need one.

Olly

Have you got a fied flattener or flattener-reducer? I think you'll need one.

Olly

Hi Olly,

Well I mentioned Maxim DS because Claire has used it in the past so I'm hoping she will be teaching me how to use it but I'm always looking for a ceaper option so might take a lok at the other sugestions.

Also would this flattener do the trick from FLO - Reducers/Flatteners - Skywatcher Field Flattener

cheers

Neil

Programs, all free! I use these ones, worth a try, as cost is minimal.

PHD for guiding PHD Guiding

GIMP for processing GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program

DSLRshutter for image capture 350d DSLR Shutter

wxAstroCapture for webcam imaging wxAstroCapture - Windows and linuX Astronomy Capture

DeepSkyStacker DeepSkyStacker Download

I'm not sure which is the optimal flattener for your scope but FLO will get it right if you ask them. It is also necessary to order the adapters (spacers) which will allow your chip to reside the right distance (probably 56mm but check) behind the reducer. That includes anything else in the train, most obviously the filterwheel. I think the chip distance from front of camera is on the Atik website. Include that in the total dstance as well.

Olly

Archived