NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from sunny Liverpool

stevirobbo

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum.

In your heading you mention a historic term "sunny". I've looked in all of my astronomy books but can't find a single reference - strange really as I also caught sight of another term, "clear night" which again has drawn a complete blank, I think I'm going to have to move up to your neck of the woods as it's clearly the place to be. :mad::D

Hope you find a suitable mount for your scope soon as there is rumours circulating that we're in for some good weather. ;)

Clear skies

James

Hi Steve, welcome to the group and to the learning curve. You are in good company now and don't be afraid to ask any astro related question. The Lounge is another thing though, here you can have a general natter on other subjects (within reason of course).

Regards from Dave in sunny West Derby.

I must say it is a nice clear night tonight but unless I put my scope on my wifes shoulder i'm not using it any time soon lol (now there's a thought)

I know who to call on now that theres a fellow scouser on here too ;)

(Tony) where is First light optics?

I can't decide still what would be best to buy a moving Goto or static, what would everyone else get?

I would ring FLO and ask them about the EQ3-2 Deluxe Equatorial Mount.

You can purchase the mount first, then buy motor(s) and a hand control at a later date. This will allow you to track objects which will make for more relaxed observing and allow you you to move towards imaging if you wish.

You will also require the cradles for the scope to sit in and to allow it to attach to the mount.

I must say it is a nice clear night tonight but unless I put my scope on my wifes shoulder i'm not using it any time soon lol (now there's a thought)

I know who to call on now that theres a fellow scouser on here too ;)

(Tony) where is First light optics?

I can't decide still what would be best to buy a moving Goto or static, what would everyone else get?

Steve, there's a big blue icon at the top of this page :-)

Talk to the guys at FLO re your requirements, they won't steer you wrong.

Tony

I would ring FLO and ask them about the EQ3-2 Deluxe Equatorial Mount.

You can purchase the mount first, then buy motor(s) and a hand control at a later date. This will allow you to track objects which will make for more relaxed observing and allow you you to move towards imaging if you wish.

You will also require the cradles for the scope to sit in and to allow it to attach to the mount.

"Cradles" ? ? So there is even more to buy just to set my scope up?

I thought I just needed the scope and tripod now it seems everything comes seperatly lol, I think this is going to be extremely expensive ;)

I did note however that there is also a "table top" tripod, are these any good?

"Cradles" ? ? So there is even more to buy just to set my scope up?

I thought I just needed the scope and tripod now it seems everything comes seperatly lol, I think this is going to be extremely expensive :mad:

I did note however that there is also a "table top" tripod, are these any good?

Hi Steve,

The "cradles" I'm guessing are tube rings with a dovetail bracked attached. You may already have these as most tubes come supplied with. If this is the case you only need the mount - the dovetail on the tube rings connects to the head of the mount.

Table top tripods tend to be for smaller scopes. I don't think they'd be suitable for yours plus you'd need a table with you when you observe! ;)

It looks like your scope would normally be supplied with an EQ3 of some type - the EQ3 being the smallest mount that can handle the weight of the telescope (The bigger the EQ number usually just means that it can carry more).

I hope this helps.

Mark.

If you fancy coming to our observatory, in Cronton, we can help you set up and get you up and running.

The Liverpool Astronomical Society - Information on Weekly Meetings

I will not be there next Wednesday as I am at the Kelling event.

Regards from Dave

Liverpool A.S

Funny you shuld be based here as I was told the other week it was a good place to walk so me and a friend went there walking around by the climbers, never knew it was an observatory though, learn something new every day :o

Funny you shuld be based here as I was told the other week it was a good place to walk so me and a friend went there walking around by the climbers, never knew it was an observatory though, learn something new every day :o

Small world Steve, where in Liverpool are you based. The observatory is open to to members and visitors every Wednesday evening from 19:00 to late. You are welcome to come along and meet us. Beware though this hobby is addictive.

Archived