NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

PC controlled focus

simon84

I just missed out on a Moonlite focuser with Hi Res stepper motor and moonlite mini controller for my Equinox 120.

I've had a look at buying one new and apart from costing over £400 new I then have the trouble of getting it through UK customs.

So I was wondering, has anyone got any plans or designs for a motorised focuser for my Equinox 120 that I can run from the laptop.

I was thinking maybe a belt driven device with the belt on the micro focuser knob, but as its not something I've looked into making before I thought I'd ask for some advice. I will be using the device to control focusing for imaging purposes.

• 2 years later...

Hi

Did you ever get your Equinox 120 focuser motorised .I have just brought a 120 and would like to fit a motor to mine

but am very reluctent to spend close on £600 for a moonlight .Or did you end up going down that rout

IF you want a motorised of the shelf option its not cheap, Skywatcher scopes do not have the best stock focusers, if you going to be hanging a ccd, filterwheel and reducer + spacing adapters, the weight can build up and the focusers are prone to slip, if you just using a dslr they are normally ok.

Focsuer slipping occurs with crayfords regardless of motorisation, as the draw tube slips due to the weight on the stuff hanging off the end.

A good rack and pinion focuser solves this, also the better quality crayfords, like a feathertouch are much more reliable.

Its the weakest link, how well you wish to fix it honestly depends on how much your willing to spend, Id personally recommend a Feathertouch as they are very well made, but its going to be expensive especially if you want it controlled via a PC.

Focuser is everything if your imaging, I struggled for years re-building and tweaking stock focusers and never really cured sagging and creeping issues. I bit the bullet and purchased quality focusers.....its the only way believe me :grin:

My 250 PX has a Moonlight and my ED80 the Baader steeltrack, the steeltrack has the edge over the Moonlight IMHO, but that's just me.

Arduino control with a stepper motor plus driver coupled to the fine focus knob with a timing belt and pulley from MotionCo gives a cheap and relatively easy DIY solution for remote focus control.

Archived