NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

celestron travelscope 70 question

Hi again folks,

Long time no post but time to ask a question that I need a bit of help with. As I'm having more troubles with mobility, its getting harder to get any of my scopes out so i was thinking of getting the following which seems to me to be perfectly designed for those of us who have a lil trouble getting about

its the Celestron Travelscope 70, the one with its own backpack to store & lug it around in.

Would it any good, read around a few reviews and its hard to get a picture of its usefulness. Some say its great others have issues with its tripod/mounting etc.

Anyone got one here? Any advice or thoughts folks?

Any help would be appreciated :D

I have this scope and have only managed one nights viewing so far. I used a very nice 8-24mm zoom lens and spent ages scouring the constellations, double cluster etc and was very impressed.....it more than exceeded my expectations.

However, the tripod wants throwing in the bin....absolute useless. I put the scope on my horizon tripod which was altogether a different story.

Good views spoilt by a really poor tripod.

I have this scope and have only managed one nights viewing so far. I used a very nice 8-24mm zoom lens and spent ages scouring the constellations, double cluster etc and was very impressed.....it more than exceeded my expectations.

However, the tripod wants throwing in the bin....absolute useless. I put the scope on my horizon tripod which was altogether a different story.

Good views spoilt by a really poor tripod.

I agree. I got one to take camping. Found the OTA good for what it is but the tripod....oh my word...!! But, managed to get a great view of M13 and Jupiter where we even spotted a band (on jupiter, not the beatles)

Gavin

I also have this scope and i am a wheelchair user. The scope is fine. Obviously you are limited in what you can see due to the small apeture but that isnt a problem. Still plenty of stuff to see. The tripod is pretty bad when fully extended but if only extended a 3rd of the full height is ok. The whole thing weighs about 3 lbs and is set up in seconds.

I am just back from a holiday to Canary Islands and i took the scope with me. Very good travel companion..........so portable that you dont even know its there.

What exactly is your mobility issue?

The reason i ask is because i also have a Skywatcher Heritage 130P (5.1") Dob and it is FANTASTIC. It is still light enough for me in my wheelchair to transport it to my back garden using one hand to carry it. I think it weighs in at about 6 lbs.

*UPDATE*

Tonight i put my travelscope onto my Horizon tripod and OMG.....................it is a totally different scope.

The views through the scope (which were very good to begin with) just got soooooo much better.

I can see myself using the travelscope/Horizon tripod combo a lot at home on those nights when i cant even be bothered to take my Heritage 130P outside.

I didnt buy it to use at home for asto observing but what the hell!!!.

The tripod that comes with the travelscope is fine for something to sling over your back and take on holiday. As i said before.................just extend the tripod to a 3rd of its full height and observe from a seated position. This way the tripod is more stable and you are more comfortable.

I can imagine how BAD the tripod would fully extended for observers in a standing position.

Archived