Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Operating temperatures

modelman1968

Hi all,

My first stupid question of many, coming up - I've just bought myself a new Skywatcher Telescope N 130/650 Explorer BD AZ-S, but I actually live in Norway. I'm looking forward to the clear nights of winter, and the low light pollution levels here (other than the northern lights?) but I'm a bit worried that the cold could be an issue? The normal winter temp is between -6 to -10, but it can be as low as -28 up in the mountains, where I may go to get totally dark skies. Any suggestions - other than knitting a telescope scarf!:D

The only thing I would add is that in extreem temperatures (like -6 to -10) you have to remember that your scope is a metal tube. You know what happens when warm skin meets very cold metal - it sticks to it and causes burns.

I sound like a disapproving nanny. :D

And wear a hat and gloves!

Mark

Normally around minus 15 in Lillesand where I live, but when you go up into the mountains, about half an hour away, you'd expect minus 20. I spent a night in a cabin up there in February, minus 24 - inside! Took about three hours to get up to a rather toastie minus 10. It's a bit of a cliche, but it's such a dry cold that it really doesn't feel too bad, whereas the UK cold is much more biting. Coldest I've been is minus 28, but I'm hoping I can beat that record this winter!

Hi all,

My first stupid question of many, coming up - I've just bought myself a new Skywatcher Telescope N 130/650 Explorer BD AZ-S, but I actually live in Norway. I'm looking forward to the clear nights of winter, and the low light pollution levels here (other than the northern lights?) but I'm a bit worried that the cold could be an issue? The normal winter temp is between -6 to -10, but it can be as low as -28 up in the mountains, where I may go to get totally dark skies. Any suggestions - other than knitting a telescope scarf!:D

The optics will be fine (though don't shock them by keeping them in a hot car/house, and immediately putting them outside). You might have problems with the grease in the mount, if it starts to thicken/solidify at those temperatures. (I have no personal experience, but that would be my concern).

The point about the danger of exposed metal surfaces is a very good one -- but I guess you'll be wearing gloves anyway...

Normally around minus 15 in Lillesand where I live, but when you go up into the mountains, about half an hour away, you'd expect minus 20. I spent a night in a cabin up there in February, minus 24 - inside! Took about three hours to get up to a rather toastie minus 10. It's a bit of a cliche, but it's such a dry cold that it really doesn't feel too bad, whereas the UK cold is much more biting. Coldest I've been is minus 28, but I'm hoping I can beat that record this winter!

I remember many eons ago walking to school when it was minus 40 C with a strong wind giving a wind chill equivalent of minus 70....... Coooooooold !!!

John

BTW before you ask it was in a small town just south of Montreal.

Johnboy, don't be silly now, you can't dunk doughnuts in frozen coffee.

Thanks for the advice on the grease Teadwarf, I'd also wondered about that. I guess time will tell, and when I hear grinding of gears and see iron fillings covering the snow I'll have my answer.

I remember bivvying out under the stars at -12ºC near Mont Blanc ... that was cold ... think my coldest is at around -29ºC (not including wind chill) whilst snowboarding near Gstaad in Switzerland one year ... my wife bought a bottle of coke, which subsequently froze as she tried to drink it :D

Agreed on taking care with the metal and skin thing ... had my fingers stuck to the inside of a freezer compartment as a kid which hurt like hell but luckily nothing too serious, and even had my tongue stuck to an ice cube once (courtesy of my wife's loving pranks :)) ...

Ohh yeah ... meant to say, in case you don't know this trick, if you want to avoid condensation with camera equipment or similar when taking it from very cold to normal room temps, place it inside a zip lock or other sealed plastic bag then take it in and leave it in there for at least half an hour ... this allows any condensation to gather on the bag not inside the camera.

Archived