Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best way to carry a scope around ?

Okay I’ve got my scope with tripod, now I want to go out and do a bit of stargazing what’s to best way to carry them both?

Scope is celestron 102 Wide View, not the SLT, its marketed as a spotting scope. I doesn’t need counter weights, doesn’t have a “goto” gizzo, just attaches straight to the tripod. So put simply it a scope and a tripod.

I can easily carry the tripod, doesn’t matter if I drop that, it’ll just get a bit scratched. For the scope I’d like a safer way to carry this, preferably worn rucksack style. If I look at rucksacks ones that are big enough to take the scope, let’s say a generous 70cm in length, look to start at around £60, I’d rather spend that amount on EP’s etc. I did have a eureka moment this morning when I saw someone carrying tennis racquets in a bespoke bag on their back, all nicely zipped up, they seem less expensive and might do the trick. I’ve done searches on the internet and all I tend to come up with are hard aluminium cases for scopes or thin bags for tripods, not what I’m really after.

So, any ideas / suggestions etc ?

Thanks

Neil

Thanks folks, think I've sussed it now, hockey stick bag, right shape, can put some foam inside, extra pockets for bits and pieces plus straps to carry over the shoulder, job done.

Neil

I was wondering about snowboarding bags too, but figured would be very large/long though eh?

I have a couple here but can see even the largest of scopes [edit: that you would want to carry any distance] slopping around in those quite a lot.

I have a 100 litre tubular shaped "trekking bag" from Decathlon which has shoulder straps that cost around €35 Euros, its hard wearing, comfortable to carry and waterproof, but is not at all padded ... with the help of something like a [removals] blanket I am sure this kind of thing would also make a very cheap alternative, even for something like a small to mid sized newtonian reflector.

Never transported mine anywhere but from the house to the terrace/garden though, so have no idea how practical this would be :)

Deal done, a "3 stick" hockey bag. Easily take the scope with some packing around it, loads of extra storage that can easily take the bins, camera, flask (termos or hip), butties etc. Has proper rusksack style straps, only £35 from my local independent sports shop.

Deal done, a "3 stick" hockey bag. Easily take the scope with some packing around it, loads of extra storage that can easily take the bins, camera, flask (termos or hip), butties etc. Has proper rusksack style straps, only £35 from my local independent sports shop.

What a cracking idea! I love it :D

Archived