Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EP Selection?

Agree Michael but I have heard lots of people moan about the 5mm. As I say I find it ok in an F9 and quite sharp on objects. The F5 refelector just doesnt ever perform terribly well with it - in fairness I have yet to find a 5mm I really like in the F5. I have a TMB PLanetary II on its way and I'll give that a go - next satop will be a Baader GO I guess but I suspect I will hate a GO as the eye relief will be quite tight.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Laughs - I just did but the wretched mount packed up on the only clear night I was there DOH !!!!

Isn't that just typical :)

At the university we call that the demo effect: the chances of anything going wrong with a demo increase with the number of people watching:(

Better luck next time

ActuallY was swearing profusely in a most unlady like way :) The air around me was bluer than the bluest skywatcher tube :)

I have a TMB coming my way so I'll see what thats like but of course I am trying to test the might Skymax 180 out as well and a 5mm in that will be lunatic so I have to think about getting a mid range EP like a 9 or 10mm - sighs - theres no end to this is there :hello2:

Eyepieces always invoke this sort of reaction, there are just so many factor to take into account.

In general, fast scopes, say F5 or quicker, will need better quality, more expensive eyepieces to avoid distortions and colour issues. Slower scopes f8 - f15 can get away with cheaper eyepieces as they are less taxing.

The problem is, what happens when you upgrade your scope? If you just buy eyepieces to suit the scope you have then when you move on you are back to selling and buying new eyepieces. After a few harsh lessons, I have learned that the best quality eyepieces will work in just about every scope. It is better to have one or two good eyepieces than 5 or 6 bad ones and that using a barlow gives you twice as many again.

I would try and get as good an eyepiece as you can afford at 12-18mm as this will likely be your workhorse. Save up some more and then look at either 6-8 or 26-35.

A good Eyepiece will outlive your scope.

Just my own thoughts.

Cheers

Stuart

Eyepieces always invoke this sort of reaction, there are just so many factor to take into account.

In general, fast scopes, say F5 or quicker, will need better quality, more expensive eyepieces to avoid distortions and colour issues. Slower scopes f8 - f15 can get away with cheaper eyepieces as they are less taxing.

The problem is, what happens when you upgrade your scope? If you just buy eyepieces to suit the scope you have then when you move on you are back to selling and buying new eyepieces. After a few harsh lessons, I have learned that the best quality eyepieces will work in just about every scope. It is better to have one or two good eyepieces than 5 or 6 bad ones and that using a barlow gives you twice as many again.

I would try and get as good an eyepiece as you can afford at 12-18mm as this will likely be your workhorse. Save up some more and then look at either 6-8 or 26-35.

Just my own thoughts.

Cheers

Stuart

Very true. This is why I have invested in some premium EPs, and believe me even in a slow scope like mine you see the difference. If ever I buy a fast Newtonian, I can still use almost all of them. The exception is the 40mm due to exit-pupil issues, though the kids could still use it, AND I would still use it in my SCT, which I do not intend to sell.

As a beginner I think the 'world of eyepieces' is confusing.

When you finanlly find something you like the question is - how will this work in my telescope? And will I like using it?

........The problem is, what happens when you upgrade your scope? If you just buy eyepieces to suit the scope you have then when you move on you are back to selling and buying new eyepieces. After a few harsh lessons, I have learned that the best quality eyepieces will work in just about every scope. It is better to have one or two good eyepieces than 5 or 6 bad ones and that using a barlow gives you twice as many again........

I have a small 130 Heritage and plan to replace it at some point and I wonder if not many beginners are in the same situation? So I think this is very good advice.

Just my own thoughts.

Cheers

Stuart

Next upgrade will also be a slow scope F10 SCT, wont have any fast scopes for the foreseeable future as im a Mak / SCT fan.

Not so long ago, I upgraded from Vixen LVs (not bad at all) to a TV Radian on my SCT: You really could see the difference. Dead centre the differences are perhaps not huge (but still noticeable), but towards the outer edges there was a distinct difference. Cannot say how the Radian fares against the TMB planetaries, as I have not compared them. Would be nice to do a head to head comparison.

Cheers,

Michael

Next upgrade will also be a slow scope F10 SCT, wont have any fast scopes for the foreseeable future as im a Mak / SCT fan.

if its gonna be all slow scopes you should go for comfort & wider angles. theres no need to buy TV plossls or similar EPs that offer no advantage other than being usable in fast scopes.

If big dobs and fast scopes are not on the menu - save a bit of money on the EPs and put it towards the F10 SCT. my opinion.

w

if its gonna be all slow scopes you should go for comfort & wider angles. theres no need to buy TV plossls or similar EPs that offer no advantage other than being usable in fast scopes.

If big dobs and fast scopes are not on the menu - save a bit of money on the EPs and put it towards the F10 SCT. my opinion.

w

Yeah thats what i was thinking, read a good TV vs GSO plossl review.

Cannot say how the Radian fares against the TMB planetaries, as I have not compared them. Would be nice to do a head to head comparison.

I'm going to buy a 4mm TMB and shoot it out against my 4mm Radian. Just waiting to hear back from Sky's the limit...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve

Although new to the astro world I thought my own experiences may be of use to you.

I too was confused by the myriad range of eyepieces, and didn't know whether it would be better to buy a range of lower cost plossls (GSOs etc) or patiently wait and save up for the apparently better quality Televue plossls.

So I decided that the only way was to try a few in one size (20mm) and then make a decision based on the results. I therefore bought a GSO 20mm (in a set of five for £100), a TV 20mm and as a wildcard outsider a Sterling 20mm from the states (about £20). Although it's early days (only 2 clear nights since they came) my opinions are as follows;

20mm GSO - good all rounder, clear views, accurate across the majority of the field of view.

20mm Sterling - surprisingly honest view, clear and sharp but no rubber eyecup which may put some people off.

20mm TV - clear and sharp but noticeably darker than the other 2, not just more contrast but also, in my opinion, reduced light transmission.

So my decision so far has been that whilst TVs may deserve their reputation for the higher end eyepieces (Naglers, Panoptic, Ethos etc) on Plossls, though they are comparable with the other 2, the fact that they cost nearly 4 times more than the other two isn't reflected in the view through them.

Best indicator is that I always seem to be reaching for the GSO rather than the other 2.

For my own personal use I am going to stick with the GSOs for plossl viewing, maybe considering TVs again when I look at the more premium eyepieces in their range.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Dirk

Eyepieces are a blumming pain in the ****!!! :o

If only I knew the pain I would go through as when I bought my scope I thought thats it. How wrong was I and now my eyepieces cost many times more than my scope!

I've just decided to buy the best because they will last a lifetime and I can either pass them on to my kids or sell them for pretty much what I paid for them if anything changes. Also it doesnt depend what telescope I get in the future as they will all work well.

Archived