Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Half hour in the lakes.

Teddy

I am up in coniston for a night with the missus n I was bright enough to remember the bino's . Not romantic i know ( she is already pregnant so I guess I had my excuses lol).

Any way we nipped out to see if we could spot some early persieds (spell check). WOW....... The sky is darker than sgl5 n that was dark. Honest I can not get over the amount off stars I could see. Fields n fields it seemed like. The bino's helped blow my mind. Seen a couple of moons around Jupiter , caught 6 shooting stars. Learnt a few more constellations and best off all....... Accidently found M31. Andromida if I am correct. What a buzz to see another galaxy with just bino's . What thoughts it brings. I have had the best 45 mins since sgl5. Clouds rolled over now but had a 95% clear sky.

Anyway buzzin coz Tanya came outside too and loved it.

Nite all

Teddy

Hi Teddy,

Yes the skies finally cleared over Cumbria last night, thats two nights in a row for me but the first since early July! Naked eye milky way last night in South Lakes, which is always a good sign of excellent tranparency up here. I also bagged M31 last night, first in a 130 newt but then tried the bins and if anything it looked even better...maybe some hazy cloud was around earlier? But back with the newt, I had the great fun of seeing a satellite wander past M31 whilst viewing, one of 4 last night plus a brace of Perseids and a couple of globular clusters. I don't get Jupiter from my garden until later and was dozing off at the scope, but it was so nice to see stars again.

Enjoy the rest of your hols.

Thanks u lot.

Yeah I thought I saw the milkyway but was not sure enough to report it. I did m31 with the naked eye after I found it with the bino's. It just looked so busy up there. I have wanted to see the milkyway since I started a year ago but I haven't ..... So chuffed I have now. Beautiful !!!!!!

Will be back in the lakes soon.n your a Lucky lot who live there.

Amazing when u feel alive due to just looking up and taking it all in.

I used to live in the Lakes and moved to Gloucetershire - I didnt pay much attetion to the night sky when I lived there but on the odd visit home I always make reference to the stars etc. Notquite the same living on the edge of a city :p

Archived