Hello From Scotland

alinver

Hi everybody.

I've been reading around this site and I guess this is the best place to start.

OK my girlfriends uncle died a few weeks ago and we were set the task of clearing out his house, up in the attic I came across a telescope, as I've always had a think about the night sky and I was told I could keep it.

Now here comes the problem!

I have zero idea what type of telescope it is, it's not what I would call a usual one(or perhaps it is). There were no instructions nor manual, or even books, we guessed he bought it and never used it because of the dust.

I could try and describe it but I think picture would be better. If someone could help me post a picture that would be great. I've tried linking to my Twitpic account but it doesn't seem to work.

There are two eyepieces and something called a x2 Barlow.

Everything looks complete.

I live on the edge of Edinburgh so I'm quite handy for the less light polluted countryside, although this telescope doesn't look very portable!

I spent a very enjoyable evening reading around this site and I'm sure you'll all be able to help me.

I'll try another link to Twitpic.

Telescope on Twitpic

Thanks in advance

Al

2dd4wp

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL!!

I'm sure we can help.

From the image it looks like a small 125mm Newtonian reflector on a EQ1 equatorial mount.

The small telescope on the top is a low power finder to help you aim and point the scope.

The eyepieces/ barlow ( the x2 thing) go in the side focuser.

The numbers on the eyepieces are the focal length. The larger the number, the lower the magnification, so if you have a 25mm eyepiece, that's the one I'd start with. The x2 when placed infront of the eyepiece double the magnification.

The mount is a very basic unit, but should allow the scope to be pointed at the stars and planets and by twiddling the right knob, you will be able to track the stars etc.

One axis of the mount should point towards the pole star ( ie parallel with the Earth's axis)

Do a bit of google searching on Equatorial mounts - you'll soon find some starting pointers.

Keep asking question as you go along:)

Thank you Merlin66.

I'm already one step further than I was an hour ago!

The eye pieces are.

Super 20 Wide Angle Long Eye Relief

Super 10 Long Eye Relief.

Is it right to assume the 20 & 10 refer to millimetres?

Al

Thank you Merlin66.

I'm already one step further than I was an hour ago!

The eye pieces are.

Super 20 Wide Angle Long Eye Relief

Super 10 Long Eye Relief.

Is it right to assume the 20 & 10 refer to millimetres?

Al

Yes this is correct and if you multiply the number on the eyepiece with the focal length of your telescope it gives you the magnification. The focal length is usually written on a sticker e.g. 'F=1000'

Got my maths wrong there if you saw my second reply before I deleted it! Thanks Merlin for the correction :p

You can work out the magnification by dividing the focal length of the telescope by the number on the eyepiece. The focal length of the scope is usually found on a sticker e.g. F=1000.

Thanks for the YouTube link KingofColly, I have the feeling I'm not going to get much housework done today! A really easy to understand clip, one I've watched a few times already.

This may sound like a very stupid question, but here goes, what can I expect to see through this type of telescope? For the moment, and when it reappears, I'd be more than happy to look at the moon all night, but what about after that?

Ah I've just found a sticker, F1000mm - D130mm

So, and feel free to correct me, I have a 20mm eyepiece divided by a focal length of 1000 = x50 magnification(with the x2 Barlow x100)?

Al

Welcome to the forum

There are a few members from around the Edinburgh area, I'm from Glasgow myself.

Good luck with the scope and hopefully it gets you interested enough to look for something better at some point.

Cheers

Stuart

Thanks for all the nice welcomes.

I've spent the day reading, watching youtube videos, reading probably every post on this site, removing the scope from the mount and reattaching it. Fiddling with the dials ect.

I think I'm ready to take the plunge! Hopefully the skies will be clear enough to see at least something, after some research from the links people have been kind enough to post I've decided to just find my bearings tonight and see what I can see.

Fingers crossed I'll see at least something, it's certainly an adventure.

Cheers Al

Al,

Just remember that DSO's, Galaxy's etc don't look like they do in the images you see here or in magazines.

Try to start with planets (or the moon when its up). Saturn is always a WOW moment for everyone starting out.

After that open clusters or double stars

Good hunting...

Ah I've just found a sticker, F1000mm - D130mm

So, and feel free to correct me, I have a 20mm eyepiece divided by a focal length of 1000 = x50 magnification(with the x2 Barlow x100)?

Al

Yes you are spot on :p The D130mm bit is the aperture of your telescope.

Archived