Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

FINDER SCOPES

My Dob came with a straight through finder scope, although it was easy to use with both eyes, at certain angles I had to be a contortionist so bought thisSW9x50RAEFINDER_thumb.jpg Skywatcher 9x50 Right-Angled, Erecting Finderscope

However it's far more difficult to line up because it's NOT straight through. Is there a product that's a happy compromise?

I'm not keen on the red dot finders but came across this at First Light

Rigel QuikFinder Compact Reflex Sight

rigel_quikfinder.jpgEasy to use 1x reflex-type finder.

• A fraction of the size and weight of the competition's 'reflex' sight.
  • Compact design lets you use both eyes.
  • Aiming your telescope is easy with its wide-open right-side-up view.
  • Projects 1/2 and 2 degree red circles onto the night sky - what you see in the red circles is what you get in your telescope.
  • Pulsed or continuous illumination of the reticle is a standard feature on the QuikFinder.
  • Two baseplates enables use on two telescopes. Easy clip on/off mounting to baseplate (no

Any comments?

I've got the Telrad and the Quikfinder along with 9x50 RA finders. The Telrad is a bit easier to use but really big and bulky. For me it's the Quikfinder on a small dob and the Telrad on a bigger dob. The size difference is very apparent when you compare them to the 9x50 finders.

John

The big dob is a 14" OO and the small one is an 8" SkyWatcher. I think it would be OK on a 10". BTW the Telrad in the photo has one of the 2" risers to make it more convenient.

The real difference for me between the two is that with the Telrad you just seem to be able to look through it properly without having to have your eye in just the right position. With the QuikFinder I find your eye does have to be more accurately positioned in order to see the rings. It's not a problem, rather just something you have to get used to.

John

I have a Telrad and a 9x50 RACI on my Orion Optics 10" which is probably a touch smaller than your scope's tube.

You may need to adjust the balance of the scope with a Telrad and an optical finder on the top end of it - especially if you bung in a heavy 2" eyepiece as well !.

Even through I have both, I often run the scope with just the Telrad - it's that good !.

I have a Baader SkySurfer V and a Stellarvue RACI finder with illuminated crosshairs.

The pic below will give you an idea of size. The red dot is for general mooching about and locating big bright stuff like planets when I dont set the GoTo up. Its quite neat cos I can just stand behind the scope and use the motors to line up with a long view from the rear of the scope. The RACI is for aligning the SYnscan super accurately and for widefield viewing of targets.

Since the pic was taken the Stellarvue RACI mount has been changed to a lower profile one from scopestuff to bring the centre of gravity for the finder set-up closer to the scope tube.

post-14805-133877468095_thumb.jpg

Those Telrad risers look great. I know the problem they are designed to solve and must look into this.

Another Telrad positive is long life (mine are going strong after nearly ten years) and the fact they use normal batteries. I don't know what batteries the Rigel uses but my Skywatcher uses daft watch devices.

Having a circle illuminated provides a sense of scale not there with a single dot.

Olly

I use the Rigel finder and an Orion 9x50 right angle finder - line up on a nearby bright star withe the rigel then hop to the object you want to view using the finderscope. The Orion finderscope is much easier on the neck than a straight through version!

I bought the Rigel via their US web site - they ship to the UK and depending on the dollar/pound exchange rate it can work out cheaper than buying from a UK dealer (there wasn't one when I got mine) paid via paypal.

Archived