If you had a choice, or a do-over, which scope for astrophotography?

I have a 12 inch dob and for the last 8 months have had fun using it to come up to speed on this wonderful hobby! I am keen on getting into astrophotography (hereinafter "AP"). I started out reading as much as is available on-line about the subject, interspersed with telephone discussions with most of the well-known retailers. I compared images (and by extension scopes, mounts, imagers, etc.) on the host of websites that provide them, thinking that what I see that others have taken would help guide my decision. Unfortunately, I am more confused than ever because it appears as though there just is no consensus as to a clear cut "best" choice. My budget is US$4500. I want a kit that is relatively portable (think, no more than a CGEM 1100 in terms of weight and bulk). If my dob use is any indicator, I will likely spend 10-15% of my AP time on planets and the balance on DSO. I am interested in hearing what others might suggest. Thanks in advance!

There really is no "best choice". Its all about personal preferences. Yes there are some scopes that are "BETTER choices".

The Skywatcher Explorer 130P seems a really popular choice for people looking to get into AP.

My budget is US$4500

OK forget the explorer. For that money i'm sure you can do better. Others will be better able to advise you.

How about a Celestron Edge HD 11"? You'll need a half decent mount to go with - maybe an SW HEQ6 Pro? Might just be within budget but you can allways drop a tube size if needed. Probably need a reducer with it too.

Hope that helps :)

I do like (and am tempted by the idea of downsizing and getting two) but would prefer to find something that would be ideal for both purposes, and therefore eliminate the need to carry and set up more than one in the field. Because I started looking from the mount on up, I estimated that I will exhaust at least US$1500-2000 on that component. However, if I were to go a "short tube frac for dso" which would you recommend? And further, what - image-wise- am I "giving up" by going that route as opposed to a SCT like the EHD 11?

It hard to find a compromise. Since you are only starting in AP, I suggest a wider focal lenght because you polar alignment doesn't have to be perfect. A really good 80ED Triplet, a SBIG Dual Sensor (ST2000CXM) camera and an Atlas EQ6 should get you in the ballpark.

I started with a C8. After a year, I didn't even attempt 1 DSO because dealing with 2032mm FL is a pain without guiding.

I'm happy to report that I wouldn't change a thing. I love my 190 Mak Newt; I love the light bucket f/5.3, the focal length is just what I needed, and perfectly suits the maximum focal length recommended for the EQ6 of around 1000mm. The little 80ED that sits next to it, with its 600mm focal length is ideal for wider work or simply looking through and enjoying the sky without a camera.

The only range I'm lacking with my OTAs is something for solar system objects and planetary nebulae, so I see an SCT in my future, probably an EdgeHD 9.25. I'd be surprised if anything larger than a 9.25 would be steady enough for astrophotography on an EQ6. Even the 9.25's specification puts it beyond the on-paper abilities of the EQ6, but I'm hopeful it will be alright for the shorter exposures I'd want to use with it.

If I had a do-over, the only thing I would change would be to not wait a decade before getting back into astrophotography!

The only thing that I would change is the mount. I really like the lightness and portability of the HEQ5 and it does do a really good job...

But I think that the EQ6 would have been better.

The H9 is a great camera. The ED80 is great for larger FOV's...

Cheers

Ant

Archived