Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

what is a dovetail for?

The dovetail is the bar that allows your scope to be attached to your stand. The tube rings attach to the dovetail and the dovetail slides into the saddle on your mount.

Try googling it and see what comes up.

The important bit about a dovetail is is cross section. Originally from the design of the slideways of machine tools (lathes and milling machines). The cross section is four sided and usually symetrical around the vertical centre line. The top and bottom are parallel but the top is somewhat narrower than the bottom, thus the other two sides slope inwards.

When placed in a suitable "slot" with one side to match the slope of the dovetails side the other side is fastened with one, or often two, screws against the second sloping side. As these screws are tightened they force the dovetail against the sloping side of the slot as well as downwards into the bottom of the slot. It makes a very secure fitting (as long as the screw(s) are tight!!)

Dovetail related question:

When you purchase new dovetail bars, do they come with the necessary screws for attaching to OTA/guide scope rings?

I had a helluva job trying to find screws to attach my Skymax 127 to the small dovetail which came with my EQ5.

EDIT: ^^ the small dovetail bar in the above post :)

Archived