Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Questions, plenty of them!

eddy

Right then guys, i have a few questions about Abbreviations and other things regarding imaging and equiptment.

LRGB - Red, Green, Blue, got that much but what is the L?

Bins? What are Bins? i see 3bins x 300s quite often (numbers are an example)

Flat FOV, is there a non-flat FOV? I see a wide angle FOV but its 'flat' what does that mean?

SW Startravel 120 Apo refractor, good DSO/Imaging Scope?

Are monochrome cameras more effective @ DSO imaging that a colour 1?

That should keep me going for a while! Thanks in advance guys i do appreciate your time

Eddy

Luminance - IR and UV filtered, if L filter is in place

Binning is to combine pixels to form super pixel so 2x2 = 4 pixels into one for greater sensitivity does not apply to DSLRs

Your camera sensor is flat so flat FOV is very useful to give a good undistorted image

Do you mean 120ED - ok, or the cheaper 120 scope - not so ok - too much CA

Dedicated astro Mono cameras are more sensitive but you can get good results from DSLRs which are cheaper.

You don't mention the mount which for imaging is the most important piece of kit - big, chunky well built is best!

lol thanks for the reply, but a lot of it means nothing to me im afraid :eek: lol

Mount, SW EQ3 Goto Pro

How do you combine pixels? Ie. taking 2x2 to make 4? How would you go around doing that? The scope isnt the ED as money is a little tight so thought id start off cheap and do my best! :mad: I knew a good mount is important so opted to get a cheap scope to start off with and the best mount i could afford.

The camera is an Imaging source DMK 21AU04

Just how bad is the CA on the cheaper scope? would filters aid imaging?

Thanks for the reply means a lot to get good advice :D

Thanks

Eddy

Ok the camera you are looking at, the DMK is not really a DSO camera, planetary, luna, solar yes but DSOs need a completely different technique of long length subs and a number of them to stack.

The DMK doesn't do this so maybe look at a DSLR - Canons at the mo are probably the best choice.

With an EQ3 you will need a very light scope say a 80ED nowt bigger. The 120 Achro I don't think will do the job even with filters.

I recommend strongly you get Steves' (Steppenwolf on this forum) book, Making every photon count, an excellent read and will save you going in the wrong direction and wasting a lot of money

here http://firstlightoptics.com/products.php?cat=71

Thanks again for the reply. I have contacted Martin @ FLO who has informed me that the scope/mount combo will be fine together and that the camera is capable of 60min exposures (not that anyone would use a 60min exposure) Also, according to the Imaging Source website, this exposure time is reitterated.

Am i getting the wrong impression here? lol

All the best

Eddy

Thanks again for the reply. I have contacted Martin @ FLO who has informed me that the scope/mount combo will be fine together and that the camera is capable of 60min exposures (not that anyone would use a 60min exposure) Also, according to the Imaging Source website, this exposure time is reitterated.

Am i getting the wrong impression here? lol

All the best

Eddy

The mount/telescope combination would be fine for visual use but I don't think the EQ3-2 tracks accurately enough for DSO imaging, unless you add a guide scope or off axis guider (more expense /extra weight). The DMK 21 has a small sensor and a small FOV compared to a DSLR and is used for solar system imaging. To get colour images from the mono DMK you will need to takes four times as many exposures as a DLSR and then process the image stacks in Photoshop to obtain a colour image. When you then add the extra cost of coloured filters and a filter wheel to the price of the DMK21 it may be cheaper to buy a DSLR.

Peter

Archived