Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher EQ Handset

Hi all,

I have an NEQ6 Pro Synscan and was wondering something.

I plan to run the mount using the FTDI USB lead and a netbook so I have freed the handset up.

I have just bought a Syntrek Alt/Az mount and was wondering if its at all possible to flash my EQ handset to make it an Alt/Az handset so that I can have goto on the Alt/Az mount.

Thanks for any advice.

Right, I've just been on the Skywatcher website and I see that they have 2 downloads, one for EQ Handsets and one for AZ Handsets.

Are they the same thing though with just different firmwares? I could just try flashing my EQ handset with the AZ firmware......but it'd be nice to know if anyone has already done it.

Hi Simon - check the manuals on the SW website - I think you'll find the pinouts on the alt/az handset are different to those on the eq handset. If re-flashing is possible at all it might involve some rewiring. :eek:

Well so long as the RJ45 connectors are the same I should be able to use the lead that comes with the mount to connect my flashed controller to it and like you say have goto.

All I need now is a serial to usb adapter so that I can flash my handset.

Sly...

From the Skywatcher Manuals...

The SynScanTM AZ hand control cable has a RJ-45 with

8 connecting pins on one end and a RJ-12 with 6

connecting pins on the other end. Plug the RJ-45 end

into the hand control (Fig.c) and the other end into the

outlet on the mount (Fig.:eek:.

The EQ mounts have RJ 45's both ends...

I have both an HEQ5 and Alt/Az mount alongside me as I type this...

Peter...

The Az is a 6 pin and the EQ is an 8 pin. There was a thread where someone on SGL rewired his EQ handset to work with an AZ mount. However someone else followed those directions and unfortunately fried their AZ mount, so it's a very much at your own risk mod.

Someone else re-flashed their EQ handset to AZ and couldn't convert it back and had to get a new handset.

Well worth searching SGL for SynScan handset mods before doing anything.

John

DON'T DO IT (without checking, sorry to shout). Have a good search for a thread where someone accidently programmed an EQ handset with AltAzi software and fried it. In the end they had to send it back for a replacement, as I remember.

Thanks chaps for all that. After reading through all of that I'll just use the mount with the Syntrek handset.

I'm moving over to EQMOD for the NEQ6 so I can either sell or swap my Synscan EQ handset for a Synscan AZ handset. I dont think goto is a massive must have for the Alt/Az mount, just would have been nice if I could have done it with what I have.

• 3 years later...

The Sky-Watcher AZ-EQ6GT is an exciting evolutionary development of the hugely successful NEQ6 PRO. The AZ-EQ6GT is a dual purpose, fully functional computerised heavy-duty Go-To/Tracking astronomical mount in both Alt-Azimuth (AZ) and Equatorial (EQ) modes. Supplied with a Synscan handset with dual AZ/EQ firmware, it can automatically find and track over 42,900 celestial objects from its database. In EQ mode, the AZ-EQ6GT is designed for either visual use or precise astro-imaging. In AZ mode, it is primarily intended for visual use, and in this mode, two telescopes can be mounted simultaneously in parallel.

Looks like the same handset!

Archived