Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Night mode for PC

Hey just wondering, this may have already been done but I got to thinking of astronomy software that has a night mode, so I made a simple theme in windows that uses reds,blues and blacks etc. that hopefully won't ruin night vision. I have attached an example screen shot. just wondered if anyone has done this or knows an even better way as this is a little limited.

post-20359-133877464327_thumb.jpg

I'm also interested in a solution - the acetate would be ideal.

However, while googling for an answer I found this interesting article: Night Vision - The Red Myth

...it seems to suggest that, in most cases, a properly dimmed white light will maintain night vision better than red light. News to me! Not sure if this still applies to monitors, but thought it was interesting enough to mention anyway.

I use stellarium with night mode as well as some other astronomy programs and it works great, but i like to be able to alt-tab to other windows for information and such, maybee im just being greedy! :eek:

I was sure there would be a software solution, so I kept looking, i found this DarkAdapted it looks pretty good for mac and is apparently limited on windows, on my windows laptop its not performing as well as hoped, it just tints the display (may be useful for mac users and some win users though)

I still like the idea of a filter over the screen so I'm gonna go with that ;)

For these options - and I know many of them but not all - leaving the laptop inside when doing visual is the answer for me. When imaging, which is now most of the time, i say Oh well, I'll be as blind as bat and put up with it. Paper charts or printouts for me every time when the eyepiece is the instrument of choice.

Olly

Archived