Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

COM port nightmare

I'm tearing my hair out trying top configure my new HEQ5 Pro mount to talk to my computer. So far I've managed to install the drivers for the USB to serial converter and install the relevant ascom drivers. Now I'm stuck on trying to work out:

1 - Which COM ports the damn USB/serial converter is connected to.

I've tried the Skywatcher software to detect which comport you are connected to, but have come up against a problem. The software goes up to COM 16. My computer seems to go up to COM 256! Needless to say the software doesn't detect the relevant com port which the mount is connect to. HELP!:eek:

2 - How to configure ASCOM to address the relevant COM port.

The ASCOM driver only seems to see 16 COM ports - see above.

HELP:eek:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right click my computer, and select properties.

Hardware

Device manager

Then expand the ports option and it should be listed in there...

I use the Hitech EQDIR adapter thingy and it comes up in the list as "prolific"

HTH

Ant

Hi Ant

I've tried this. I go into COM1 is my LX200 mount - direct into my serial port so I'm not touching that.

I select the COM2 port, then port settings, advanced to select a COM port. this is where I get the list of 256 COM ports. None of them have nay names next to the number, so I can't see which one I need to use. HELP!!!!!

I've looked in my device manager and my USB-232's only show in the com/lpt port list, not the USB devices list.

It looks to me like it's just not being recognised when you plug it in. Does the PC give a ding-dong, new device found message when you plug/unplug it?

Check you get the chime when you connect the USB.

In your picture with the comm ports showing you had Com 1 and com 3 showing if you disconnect the usb to serial does one of those disappear. That will confirm the comm port number of the usb.

First confirm the port number then fault find the connection.

Right - it's fixed.

I tried up plugging it and replugging it in yet again (I must have done this 20-30 times) and suddenly Windows recognised the USB serial converter. Everything else was fine after that. I have absolutely no idea what I did differently than I had done before (nothing I suspect)!!!

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

If you've got more than 1 USB port plug it into each. On my PC, when I plugged the USB-232 into any port for the first time it asked to install the driver again for each one. Better to do this now than outside in the dark one night.

Changing the subject slightly... On XP plugging in various USB devices needed to be re-installed depending on the usb port I used.

So much so that I wrote on the hub what I plugged in where - to minimize this issue (although I had shortcuts to a copy of the CD's of various devices on the desktop).

But Windows 7 seems to be a little cleverer than XP as this doesn't seem to happen. :eek:

Glad your sorted mate!

Ant

Archived