Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

light pollution help

in my imaging sessions there is always light pollution from the neighbors at the bottom left of my images. i tried to reduce using the astronomy tools 1.6 but with bad results at the rest of the image. can you help me on how to reduce light pollution using ps cs3 or any other way except from blowing up the neighbors lights :eek:?

i include an unprocessed image of m57 5x5 min taken with atik 16 ic colour with no calibration frames and the second has the levels tweaked at ps cs3

m57-2.tif

Why not use some physical shielding, a fence panel or a long dews shield?

If the LP is from a distinct light source that you can identify that is off axis then wouldn't screening it stop its light getting into your aperture and rattling down the OTA to the camera?

the source of the LP are the porch lights from a neighbor. i tried to shield the LP with a dew shield but it didn't help much. using a fence panel will take way too long for me to construct but until that happens is there any way by prepossessing the photo to reduce the LP?

Who says you need a fence panel?

You could do it with a few 6ft poles, a roll of that stuff you put on the garden to keep the weeds down (£4 from wilkos) and a stapler or a few tacks.

Build what would be simply a massive wind break - except in this case its a "light break". If you make the poles 6ft apart (the usual length of a fence panel), you can then attach the poles to your existing fence posts with a makeshift bracket (or go to b&q to see what will do the job) so you can put it up and take it down as desired. The added bonus is that its lightweight, and wont take up much storage space as it just simply rolls up.

Not sure how it would cope with wind though, better build it tough :eek:

Im thinking of doing exactly this soon because of a nearby housing development thats going to spoil the atmos a bit in about 6 months time.

Have you considered using GradientXterminator? It is a very useful PS plug-in for dealing with gradients.

I image from within a city and use it all the time for coping with LP gradients. It might even be the best 50$ I've spent on software.

/Lars

I simply drape a blanket over a couple of 7tf garden canes while I'm imaging to block our neighbour's outside light. When I'm done I just take the blanket in - no need for elaborate constructions. If it's too windy for the blanket then it's too windy to be imaging anyway.

Archived