Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Alternative to the Meade 5000 80mm ED APO Triplet

Came across this scope from Telescope Service and thought it would be an interesting alternative to the Meade 5000 80mm ED APO Triplet Refractor. Although the Meade comes with a diagonal it uses Hoya FCD1 glass (equivelent to FPL-51 O'Hara) whereas this TS triplet uses FPL-53 O'Hara glass. Price is very attractive as well.

TS Triplet FPL-53 APO 80 / 480 - f/6

Price aprox £545.00 plus shipping

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p3881_TS-Triplet-FPL53-Apo-80-480mm---f-6---kein-stoerender-Farbfehler.html

- Triplet APO 80/480mm lens with air gap

- FPL -53 O`Hara for optimal color

- Retractable dew shield

- A transport length of just 355mm

- Universal attachment plate with tripod connection

- 2 " Crayford Focuser with 1:11 reduction

- Supplied in sturdy aluminum carrying case

John

While I was thinking about a new small scope, something compact and portable for purely visual use, this is better than I'd really need. Still it does look very interesting doesn't it! :D

It's all the fault of that **** thread about a grab'n'go scope where the subject of the Megrez 72 came up which reminded me of the Megrez 72 that I foolishly sold a while ago. So should I get another Megrez 72 or something else in the 72 to 80mm range?

Of course I could allways sell the Astro-Professional TMB 80mm f/11.25 achro to cover the extra cost :)

John

Yes I saw the 70 but the 72 has better optics, so I set that as my minimum spec. I've used the 70 as well as my old 72 and I was a bit disappointed in the 70, as while it's certainly a very good scope it lacked the overall sharpness and contrast of the 72.

John

Archived