SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQDIR Questions

Hi All,

I am going the EQMOD way for controlling my EQ6. First stop - buy an EDDIR. Two options out there - HiTec Astro and Shoestring. One advantage with the Hitec version is that I dont need to muck around with USB-serial converters. Are there any disadvantages?

HiTec offers two versions. See picture. Which one should I get?

Would I be able to use “The Sky 6” for Goto and then use PHD for guiding without changing any cables?

Thanks,

Vincent.

post-14347-133877461527_thumb.jpg

The one of the LHS is for the NEQ6pro mounts, the other is for the HEQ5pro mounts.

I have and use both the Hitec and the Shoestring.

You'll find somewhere along the line you'll need a USB>serial adaptor...if not for this application then for something else;)

I use the Keyspan USB>serial adaptors...why?? because they work 100% with any hardware and any software...

Ken

Just to add some info to the FTDI option:-

Eqmod interface page http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/reqindex.html

http://www.ftdichip.com/Documents/DataSheets/Modules/DS_TTL232R.pdf

Must be the R version TTL232R and NOT the TTL232R3V3 version.

They are 16 pounds here (5v version on this page):-

Future Technology Devices Intl - USB-TTL Wire Ended

To create the EQDIRECT-USB all theat is needed is to connect a 9 way "D" type plug to the flying lead of the TTL232R. The connections are as follows:

Solder Pin 6 of the 9 way D-type Plug to the Orange wire.

Solder Pin 9 of the 9 way D-type Plug to the Yellow wire.

Solder Pins 4 & 5 of the 9 way D-type Plug to the Black wire.

Just for information in case you are interested.

In answer to your last question - the answer is "yes" - you can have The Sky, Starry Night, Stellarium, CdC etc running to provide GOTO at the same time as running PHD or Guidedog etc. to guide with only one cable from your computer to the mount.

Steve

Archived