NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Scorpio mosaic

madjohn

Hi everyone,

This is a wide field image of Scorpio, consisting of 3 seperate imaging sessions and stacked together in Deep sky stacker, I love that programme!

Taken from the mountaintop in La Palma.

Modded Canon 450D with standard 15/55 EF-S lens set at 18mm

Mounted on my Astrotrac.#

Hope you like it.

John

post-15189-13387745973_thumb.jpg

Looks great John... do you have it any larger anywhere ? there's so much there, I'm not sure the size of the image is doing it justice.

Ditto. It is a lovely image with those three dustlanes from the Rho region looking splendid. Great general colour as well, pure Milky Way.

Olly

Thanks for the comments, I only finished this image last night when I had a spare moment or two

I'll post up a link to my Flickr account with a larger resolution one when I get a chance.

I wanted to get the whole of Scorpio in one image and the widest lens I own is the standard Canon 18/55 EF-S, so that meant doing a mosaic at the widest I could go, which is 18mm.

I simply shot a set of 20 exposures at a time, on various parts of Scorpio, over 3 nights when I remembered, loaded them into Deep sky stacker and let it go, I fully expected it to have a nervous breakdown!, but it came back with a great wide angle vista of Scorpio, excatly what I wanted! :D

I took darks as well to help smooth the image and only lightly did levels and curves in PS, I really didn't want to overdo it and wanted the colours of the MW to come through.

John

Thanks Guys, it surprised me too!, I thought I would have to trawl the net and learn some method of stiching together all the images..... manually,..... aaaargh!

Its a great programe, well done to all who designed it, and its free too!

Here's a higher res link to the image,

Flickr Photo Download: Scorpio mosaic

Clear skies, John

that's a great image, I'm really trying to get something like that myself using my Canon and 18mm lens. I tried about 5 sets of 5 subs each in different areas around Sadr, the sets of subs were overlapping. However, when I set DSS to mosaic mode, it stacks and aligns them correctly, but it seems that the brightness of parts of the images depends on how many subs overlapped. So I ended up with 5 sets of straight line brightness changes in the joins between sets of subs. With the stacking set to average, I wouldn't have expected this. All subs were taken with the same exposure settings, within a few minutes of each other (short subs).

I'd be really interested in what settings you used in DSS to avoid this issue I'm having as I'd love to compose an image of the Milkyway like that.

I gave up in the end and moved on to Microsoft ICE, but that has problems aligning the images anyway.

Thanks!

I'd be really interested in what settings you used in DSS to avoid this issue I'm having as I'd love to compose an image of the Milkyway like that.

Hi Sgazer,

I used DSS's 'intersection' stacking mode, to enable all of the images that met to be used in a cropped finished picture.

I made sure to shoot the exposures using excatly the same settings in all, and in the same place on the mountain looking in the same general direction.

Also there was no Moon around, ( on the third session, this meant waiting to do the exposures around 3 o clock in the morning!)

and little or no light pollution.

Also the air is very clear (and thinner) on top of the mountain so I assume this helped the transparency of the air and seeing conditions.

Thats all I can really say as to the settings I used, maybe I was just really lucky.

John

Archived