NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Good cheap 'all-round' DSLR

OptiGone

Hi all,

Im looking to buy my first DSLR Camera but cant jusifty it to the OH for just astro use.

So im looking for ideas for something that can be used for everyday trips out and about with the kids AND that could be used for some 'basic' astro shots ( talking Lunar/Planets and bigger DSO's).

Will proberly be buying second hand.

My only real experience of using digital cameras is our cheapy Sony Cybershot so im clueless in this department!

Any ideas would be great.

Hi,

Your best bet is a cheap Canon DSLR. If you want to go for a new one, the cheapest is the 1000D at around £380.

If you want to go cheaper, then there are lots of old Canons to be had on eBay - I picked up a 10D for £160 body only recently.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Richie

The main feature is a bulb setting. You also will need a remote shutter release (cable or otherwise) to trigger the shutter without touching the camera.

Alot of folks want live-view type functionality as well, so they can focus on the back of the camera using the screen. I prefer hooking up a PC and using the PC screen to get accurate focus.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Richie

When looking for " Features " I think the mere fact that the 1000D has become the de facto enrty level DSLR says a great deal.

I would resist the temptation to buy yesterday's technology just because it was cheap. Been there etc.......

Richie has covered most things you require plus the Canons are well supported by software.

Dave.

I agree on not buying yesterday's technology, if i buy second hand it will be from the current range.

Ok so after a quick search and working on a budget of ~400£ i have found these in my range:

1000D NEW

450D Body only NEW

500D New (pushing budget by an extra 140£)

500D Body only - second hand

I dont mind buying only the body as lens can be sourced the following month.

Any thoughts on the above? any others that i should have on my short list?

The 450D would be the best option for astro use with 14bit analogue to digital conversion as opposed to the 1000D 12bit operation. The 450D also has a bigger viewing screen which can help with focusing. That said you still need a lens which may take it out of your budget.

The other issue is what sort of mount have you got and what sort of things would you like to image. The reason I ask is that you may need adapters, mounting brackets etc etc which will add to the cost.

The 1000D with a lens may be the most cost effective. I would tend to stear clear of the 350D and below as the noise from these models are a lot worse.

Thanks for the help so far guys. Think i will be on the lookout for a 450d or 500d depending on condidtion and price.

The other issue is what sort of mount have you got and what sort of things would you like to image. The reason I ask is that you may need adapters, mounting brackets etc etc which will add to the cost.

Firstly the camera will be used for everyday use and later on for some basic astro stuff so i'll start another post later on for the extras i will need. Will return for your wisdom at a later stage!

I've just bought a 1000d body only from Amazon for a shade under £300 (having missed the Asda deal of the year!) and I'm delighted with it - much lower noise than my old 400d, so I would echo the views from the other chaps - stick with the newer technology.

I've also had mine modded by Astronomiser for £200, so for £500 I've got a really versatile peice of kit ; see here for my "first light"

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/106604-first-light-modded-eos-1000d-ngc-7000-a.html

Whether you choose a 1000d, a 450d or a 500d I don't think you can go wrong

Steve

Steve,

Tell me, what is involved with this 'Modding' i assume once done the camera would not be usefull for everyday use?

Iv seen the 'Modded' word used lots around here but unsure as to what is done.

Nice pics by the way, I look forward to showing my own.

Modding usually involves replacement or removal of the filter infront of the sensor in the camera to alter it's spectral response.. usually to improve its response to the red emissions from Ha...

If the filter is removed and the sensor position is not adjusted then it may be difficult if nopt impossible to achieve infinity focus with normal camera lenses.

It's possible to correct the colour either in the processing , using a "Custom White Balnace" or by the used of an "Original White Balance" or "OWB" filter...

Peter...

Hi Matt

As Peter has said, the modification either involves replacement or removal of one of the standard filters that Canon fit in front of the camera's sensor chip. I had mine replaced with a Baader BCF filter so my autofocus still works perfectly but my daytime pictures have a distinct red / pink cast to them now. This is easily corrected in the camera with a custom white balance setting (i.e. show the camera a piece of white card and tell it that that's white) or afterwards in any photo editor. The great thing about the mod is that you can buy your camera, play with it, then get it modded (or do it yourself) at a time to suit you and/or your budget.

Hope this helps

Steve

if you are goign to mod a camera which means you will have voided any warrnaty.. then you might as well save a few bob by buying a Canon Refurbished one of eBay.. these come with 3 months warranty and as often as not are just like new...

Thats what I have done with my latest Canon a 500D....still trying to decide which mod to do to that one i am tempted to remove both filters for the full spectrum mod and either shim the sensor or use a MC glass replacement.. LPF1 has to go to really open up the IR response...

Of course a cheap 1000D also lowers the financial risk if soemthing goes wrong...

Peter...

Big thanks for all the excellent advice.

I think i will be on the lookout for a 450 or 500, new or second hand, as close to 400£ as i can find.

Hopeing to upgrade my scope for the winter nights so will lookout for a cheap 1000d to 'play' with for some astro stuff.

Again thanks for the help.

Archived