Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

what 127 Mak to go for?

This weekend I was ready to purchase the Skywatcher SKYMAX-127 SynScan AZ GOTO, and im not sure why this has slipped my radar, but Celestron has the Nexstar 127 SLT,

Does anyone own or tried the 127 slt or is it NEW?

Is it best to go for Skywatcher or Celestron?

Or are they both the same with different badges on :rolleyes:

Any advice will be very helpful.

I got a Nexstar 127 SLT just over a week ago and, with my very limited knowledge, I think it's a nice scope.

The alignment is easy, just pick 3 bright stars that are a fare distance apart, centre in the eyepiece one at a time and press the "Align" button on the hand controller. Once you've done all three stars it checks it's data base and tells you it happy. Then you can start with a tour of the sky or use the Nexstar program to build your own list and use the lappy to control the scope.

I've only had one clear night since it arrived so I'm no expert.

My first nights viewing I got Jupiter when it was about 15° above the horizon and could make out the main cloud bands using the supplied 25mm eyepiece. :D

The 9mm that also comes with it didn't really focus correctly on Jupiter and I ended up looking at a fuzzy ball.

For the price, I think I did the right thing going for the Nexstar over the SkyMax.

I just need some clear skys!!

I have the skywatcher and its a nice scope... if you can hold out for a short while im sure your going to see a price drop on the SW as in the last few months ive seen them upgraded with a 2" diagonal and now a nice new colour scheme... Something tells me they are trying to keep up with the Jones's and stay ahead in the market ;-)

if you dont see a price drop or cant wait then id consider the Nexstar only because the mount is slightly better... although i prefer the new firmware on the SW handset and think the setup is easier on there.... no need to point north or level tube anymore. All in all VERY theres little between them so just choose the cheapest/best colour or the one soldat your "local" dealers... Just to confuse you a little further you may also consider a 5SE or 125ETX although more expensive. Check forsale section as there was a nice 125ETX up for grabs at good price...

One thing I've just noticed is that finder on the Nexstar is an LED red dot finder scope, rather than the normal finder scope on the Skywatcher. It does make it easier to find your target as you can don't have to have you eye perfectly in line with the finder scope or anywhere near it. :D

When I purchased my SW 127 earlier in the year the celestrons were advertised but unavailable it seemed as when I contacted the various supliers they didn't have them in stock and couldn't say when they would be, so I went for the SW 127. I haven't been dissapointed. It's agood scope and the mount works, but you do need to know the names of the stars you're pointing at. (Stelarium is great for that) That's not a bad idea though as it helps you learn the skies.

However, that said at the time I was buying mine I would have gone for the Celestron as I liked the simplicity of the nexstar system.

As far as the red dot finder is concerned I personaly prefer an optical finder though and have fitted a 9x50 Orion one to my SW

I made the plunge today and have gone for the Nexstar 127 SLT from FLO, Hopefully I will try and do a little review from a total novice when it arrives!

Once again - thank you for all your input guys and I really do hope for clear skies this week!

Hi

congratulations on your purchase, you won't be dissapointed. I have the Nexstar 102 SLT and I love it's simple set up. Last week I did a solar system allignment on the moon and was ready to go within 2 minutes! Great stuff!! And remember, you don't have to rely on the GoTo, it can still be moved with the remote so you can hunt objects manually. Always good fun!!

Gavin

PS - The mount also kept Saturn in the FOV within a 6mm EP with 2x barlow for 40 minutes without having to be adjusted!! Brill!!

I found that I had a 12v mains adaptor that powers an external hard drive so I'm using that at the moment but it's not quite the right size and I have to hold it up slightly to get a good connection.

I've looked for other locally but haven't found anything yet.

I would say that a lead and booster pack would be a better & more flexable option though.

I've just had a dig around in my spares box and found another adaptor that's 12v 0.8A positive centre and that works as well. It's actually a better fit in the mount socket and doesn't need a tweek to get a connection, so I think I'll be using that one for now. :D

That is good news then, I work in an IT department and hopefully I will be able to find a "spare" power supply that will fit!

Scope is due to arrive on Thursday. I'm like a little kid that cant wait :-)

I've just had a dig around in my spares box and found another adaptor that's 12v 0.8A positive centre and that works as well. It's actually a better fit in the mount socket and doesn't need a tweek to get a connection, so I think I'll be using that one for now. :D

Be carefull with that adapter. Unless the adapter has a regulated output it may possiblt damage the electronics. 0.8 amps is a little on the low side, you should be looking for an adapter that has a regulated output of a least 1250mA for the SLT / AZ-GOTO mounts.

Peter

Thanks for the info, Peter. I'll have a closer look at the adaptor tonight.

The first one that I found is OK for it but the connector isn't quite 2.1mm so it doesn't make a good connection.

I'll have to have a proper look around the town and see what I can find.

The main problem is that we're not overflowing with Maplin type shops on the island so it's mail order if I can't find one. :D

ive got the sw mak and its a fine scope,the only drawback is the synscan alignmennt requires you to know the stars,whislst the nexstar dosent and the moon and brighter planets aswell,hope this helps.

kris

Archived