Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Five planets in one night:

Whilst waiting for the scope to settle down and for the sky to get darker, I started my night with the crescent moon, finding a lunar iceberg hanging just off the southern tip of the crescent.

Then over to Venus, as usual, far too bright to actually see any kind of detail, but looking so nice in wide field.

Whilst the sky was still light I found Mars by sweeping the area I was expecting to find Saturn in (still no stars out yet) and was able to Barlow the 5mm Hyperion on to it. A quite steady image but no detail.

Once the sky had become dark enough to allow a few stars out, Saturn was easy peasy, conditions were variable, with Saturn drifting in and out of focus, but offering good detail and ring shadow during those moments of clarity.

A few fuzzies then a couple of hours snoozing, so that I could be out again in the wee small hours to look at Jupiter, but mainlt to locate Uranus, as I wanted to nail this one in the UK. A pleasing little green dot, I managed the 5mm hyperion, but lost contact when attempting to Barlow. As the sky was becoming ever more light, I decided to concentrate on Jupiter untill returning to bed for some proper sleep.

The midle nipper was restless this morning so i was woken up at around 3.45, i sneeked a peek out the window and there was Jupiter twinkling away, i dont have much of a easterly view from myscope spot so im waiting till autum.

Archived