Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My donut has slipped.

LukeSkywatcher

Last night when i took my 130P out of the box to begin observing one of the collimation screw thingies (one of the short stubby ones) had worked its way loose and fell off the scope. I put it back on and checked the collimation with my home made colli cap to find that i could still see all 3 primary clips in the secondary but my donut has drifted way off to the SE (5 o' clock position).

I'm now thinking is is about time that i spend a few pounds and invest in a proper Collicap (most likely a Celestron from my local dealer cuz my VISA for international shopping is AWOL) instead of using a dust cap with a hole in it made with a corkscrew.

I think the Celestron Colli cap costs about 50 euro................which seems a bit extreme but thats Celestron for you.

Last night when i took my 130P out of the box to begin observing one of the collimation screw thingies (one of the short stubby ones) had worked its way loose and fell off the scope. I put it back on and checked the collimation with my home made colli cap to find that i could still see all 3 primary clips in the secondary but my donut has drifted way off to the SE (5 o' clock position).

I'm now thinking is is about time that i spend a few pounds and invest in a proper Collicap (most likely a Celestron from my local dealer cuz my VISA for international shopping is AWOL) instead of using a dust cap with a hole in it made with a corkscrew.

I think the Celestron Colli cap costs about 50 euro................which seems a bit extreme but thats Celestron for you.

hi Paul,

the Celestron collicap was about £6?? maybe you looked at the wrong one? It's a small white cap with a black donut on the inside about halfway down the page from memory.

If I were you, I'd get one but also probably a Cheshire given the short tube you have.

OK now that makes more sense. I went to the vendor website and had another look. There is no image and its called a collimation eyepiece.............55 euro.

I googled "collimation eyepice" and it showed up as laser collimation tools. That would explain the price.

Silly me. I mean how in the hell could a small piece of plastic cost 55 euro.

Blame the beer,LOL.

Yep Beamish thats the one i was looking to buy. I might still buy one cuz it would be cheaper then buying a drill to drill the hole.LOL.

Hey Ed. Thats very kind of you. I had a look around for a 35mm canister today in my house and they are as extinct as the Dodo. The cap i have (made it myself) simply is substandard because the hole is slightly more egg shape then round. I guess thats why i never got my collimation bang on the 1st time i had to do it.

Cheers

Paul

Archived