Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ffinder Scope set-up

My first scope, a skywatcher explorer 130p GOTO just arrived and of course as expected sky full of clouds so no chance of using it tonight. I have set it up but I don't know if I have fitted the 6x30 findersope correctly, there is nothing to indicate if it is in the correct place in its mount, maybe it doesn't matter. The instructions with the scope are poor, refers only to a red dot finder which I don't have.

i would welcome any advice.

Mel

Thanks John for prompt reply, yes, that's it.

mel

As long as your finder is fitted like the one in the photo, you are good to go :D

It's well worth taking time in daylight, using a distant object like a church spire or telegraph pole, to align the finder with the main scope.

I think you should have two adjustment screws on the finder scope one moves the finder up & down the other left & right. As John said aim the scope at a distant object, I use the top of a tv transmitter, centre whatever you aim at in the eyepiece of the telescope and then adjust the finder so the view is also centred then your good to go.

My first scope arrived yesterday too Mel, another sky watcher and you are right the instructions are really poor!

Do you have much telescope experience ? I have none, I think it's going to be a huge learning curve.

Hope the clouds disapear soon.

Hi Worzel, I am in the same boat as you, I hope to look back fondly in a few years time at my faltering beginnings. Not a bit of clear sky in N.Ireland since the scope arrived but I should have expected that.

Archived