Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ebay scope

Rob

I'm the same with PC's. Playing with them is okay, but upgrading and playing with new bits is the real fun bit.

That said, it's been 4 weeks since getting the C8 and i haven't looked at another scope. Not even any window shopping. I reckon this could be the one! No more one night stands with Skymax's and Explorer's.

Russ

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That said, it's been 4 weeks since getting the C8 and i haven't looked at another scope. Not even any window shopping. I reckon this could be the one! No more one night stands with Skymax's and Explorer's.
I hear the sound of thunder and the crackle of lightning Famous last words? :)

Gotta agree with you on the PC side though matey :)

James

PS:Cough the skymax 127 should be with me this week :whip2:

James,

Would that be Gaz's 127 (my old 127)?

If so, nice going! It's a great scope and i've been restraining myself from giving Gaz his money back. My wife would kill me. But the 127 is perfect for holiday trips, just haven't got the money for two scopes.

Russ

James,

Would that be Gaz's 127 (my old 127)?

If so, nice going! It's a great scope and i've been restraining myself from giving Gaz his money back. My wife would kill me. But the 127 is perfect for holiday trips, just haven't got the money for two scopes.

Russ

Yep, its a cracking scope, it's just that I've had a good offer on a 150mm Intes Mak, so something had to give.

I'd throughly recommend the 127mm Skywatcher though....

Gaz

Still cant get over that LX90 Gaz i really did think to myself that would be the perfect setup esp with a Wedge for Astrophotography but i think i will keep to my other dream scope of a C8 or 11" Celestron scope :) any bigger would be too much hassle i think..

Cheers

James

The C9.25 always seem to get good reviews, the way I look at my LX90 is that theres nothing it can do that a Skyscan HEQ5 and 8" Newt can't do but at half the price.

I only observe from my back garden, the LX90 is a good portable scope with decent aperture, it' just that it's no hassle for me to set up the 10" Newt and the EQ6, perhaps if I had to drive to a dark sky site I'd feel differerently....

What's the :) for there, James. Nothing to do with the remark I made to you this afternoon about giving my scope away when my observatory finally bites the dust? :)

The 11" SCT is probably near the edge of portability for most people. I was always scared of dropping it when I used to set up from scratch in 1991. Anything larger would probably have to be housed - but saves the hassle of constantly polar aligning on each trip out.

Yep, its a cracking scope, it's just that I've had a good offer on a 150mm Intes Mak, so something had to give.

I think I only need one guess at where that 150 Mak is coming from! If I said Alan would i be close?

Russ

I think I only need one guess at where that 150 Mak is coming from! If I said Alan would i be close?

Russ

Not so much close as totally spot on!!!

Do you know the guy? I've spoke to him on the phone and he seems like a genuine guy.

What's the  for there, James. Nothing to do with the remark I made to you this afternoon about giving my scope away when my observatory finally bites the dust?

Lmao yeah it was a hidden joke just for you matey good to see you picked up on it! I'll knock round about 3.00am

James :) :) :).

Those Intes scopes look damn fine Gaz i think russ has had one at one time or other?

James

Those Intes scopes look damn fine Gaz i think russ has had one at one time or other?

Still do have one. Just need to have the focuser looked at. The only trouble is when i do get it repaired i will need to decide between the Intes and the C8. One will have to go to pay for Skyscan. I think it will be Intes that goes, even though it is without doubt the better planetary scope. And has the best star test i've seen. But the C8 is the better all round scope.

I think Russ should open a Telescope Review centre?

Perhaps will have to one as part of the forum. A proper review site to make up for the fact I don't like the revamped Cloudynights, no one posts on Excelsis anymore and Ed Ting seems to have taken a break too.

Russ

[Ed Ting seems to have taken a break too.

Russ

Not so much of a break, there is a bit of a 'story' behind why he's stopped reviewing. Cloudynights suffers from the fact that most reviewers have already bought the scope and are maybe reluctant to admit they bought a dog. If you look, an overwhelming percentage of reviews on Cloudnights are very positive.

I like Excelsis it seems at least to contain some balanced reviews. It's still the first place I try to find opinions on astro gear.

Yeah i head straight for Excelsis too. Just doesn't seem to be that many posts anymore. I wonder if that Lamant idiot put people off. I flamed him a few times....complete t#@t! Please tell me that's no one on here with some weekend name? :?

So are you going to expand on the Ed Ting story...I haven't heard it! :)

You're dead right about Cloudynights. I think like the Astro mags, they have too many advertisers/backers and dare not upset them. So no juicy reviews get posted.

Russ

Lamont, was he the guy who used to put in low marks for the lower end stuff, so the average would refect his opinion of a product not everyone elses?

He used to think a EQ6 should be rated lower than an AstroPhysics mount because they could handle similar payloads and the AP was better, the price difference don't seem to occur to him....

It was the EQ6 post i flamed him on. Such an arrogant little s#@t.

Just found his comments:

are you kiddin' to rate this thing a 10?

Be more realistic!

A Takahashi, Astrophysics or Losmandy only earns a 9 because they all

have little things that could be make better.

This chinese low cost mount has many points that can be make better,

the drive system, the polar finder, the polar finder cap, the setting circles,

the worm gears (periodic error) e.t.c.

The realistic vote is a 5 and that's a good vote for this.

One of my replies (i made two, this is the short reply):

I think the reviewer was right to give it a 10, if he felt it deserved it against comparable mounts (GP DX for instance). His points are valid.

You wouldn't give your average family saloon car a 5 because it didn't match up to Ferrari in terms of handling, brakes, steering, performance. The same applies to an EQ6 and all the top notch mounts you mentioned. The EQ6 isn't competing against those mounts.

Also had a go over the 80ED and Starmax 127.

Russ

Archived