NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A lot of ifs

Ok so when I get my scope set up............. I've been playing with the starry night pro 5 software and noticed thyat if I put the cursor on an object, it give me the Az Alt and Dec for that object. So, IF I have polar aligned correctly, IF it aint raining and IF I remember to take the lens cap off, I set the mount to the co ordinates given and I should be looking at that object. Yes ??? Is it that easy or am I showing my ignorance here ? :wink:

Yes!

BUT - you'll need to make sure you setting circles are set correctly first.

Do this when you polar align. Set the circles to the Polaris settings (RA and DEC) and off you go. At each session, you'll need to reset the RA circle, DEC should be OK.

A small word of warning, though. Depending on the mount, the accuracy of the circles may be .... off. With a wide angle or longer focal length EP, you should see the target though.

Let us know if you are successful with it!

The EQ2 mount is surprisingly good for its size/weight but the setting circles aren't capable of precision work. They will certainly put you in the right area and the object, more often than not, will appear in a 30-40mm eyepiece.

I'd recommend calibrating your setting circles to something other than Polaris. It's just too close to the pole for any real accuracy. Something closer to the equator is much better, or even below 70ºN. There's a tutorial on my website that has a link to most of the well known named stars and their coordinates. Here it is:

http://www.oarval.org/GStars.htm

And the tutorial:http://www.stargazing.net/astroman/Alignme.html

You can even check the accuracy of your alignment by how far off the Dec circle is in degrees, but that's fairly advanced. I could explain it if you like, but it may put other to sleep...

Az Alt and Dec for that object.

Am I missing something here? It sounds like Starry Night gives you the altitude and azimuth of an object (as some other programs do) which is useful if you have a Dob or Alt Az mount with setting circles. Then, as long as you have the laptop with you, and it is timed to the minute, you can use the alt-az measurements to find something.

Using an Equatorial mount, especially one with the kind of imprecise measurements you find on lower price mounts, you are better off roughly polar aligning the mount (not too roughly) and finding your target by looking at the sky and using your finderscope to get in the right area, then looking through the ep. Use the setting circles to offset from an object to another, nearby object. For instance, to get to the Ring from Vega, you need to move the declination angle so many degrees, and the RA so many minutes.

Trying to go halfway across the sky from one object to another by setting circle is a formula for frustration, especially if you are new to this. It's like doing compass navigation in a boat - much easier to be able to see your landfall. By learning the constellations you can find most objects by looking in the right part of the constellation and zeroing in on it. I recommend a 7x50 finder, though, at least. I don't find the 6x30s particularly helpful.

Thanks for the tuts Astroman, I'm sure they will be really helpful :wink: and thanks to all of you who replied to what was probably a really green question, BTW my new scope has a red dot finder, now, back to the starmaps to learn the constelations.

Archived