Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My First DSO's

Earl

A starting point.... 15 second exposures on my Canon 450D

15 seconds was as long as i could push without trails

I obviously need to improve my polar alignment :|

Visually these were just faint smudges, i was very impressed with GOTO alignment.

Isn't it exciting when that object suddenly appears as large as life in your own cameras viewing screen :D

Focussing a dslr can be tricky, but it is vital to get it perfect, especially for targets like globular clusters. I found a Bahtinov mask used on a bright star made it very easy to get perfect focus, have you tried one?

Cheers

TJ

Great first images!

The most difficult part of this imaging lark is when you start out, I found DSLRs entertaining to focus and that when you are not sure what you are doing things take longer.

My first M31 was just a smudge on the screen a complete disaster, your photos are much better than my first ones were.

Yeah these are single exposures, I took 5 of each and chose the best ones.

I find focusing the mask via the Live view to be way more problematic than i was anticipating.

These are M3, M5 and M13

Plenty to work on :D

Nicley done mate! and i cant imagine theirs much darkens left in the night sky down there. There certainly in NONE in the Orkney Islands now :D oh well, hopfully by winter i will have all the necessery equipment togeather to capture my first DSO. I would be over the moon if it turned out as good as yours.

Cheers,

Michael

Archived