SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Guide Cameras

Keiran

I understand that the SX Exview is designed specifically for use in conjunction with SX's SXV imaging cameras. Do you already have an SXV camera? If not, the SX Lodestar is an excellent alternative and a very sensitive guider which can be used stand-alone with any other camera

HTH

Steve

Have you seen the threads on the new Skywatcher SynGuider?

If your doing to have a PC/Laptop/Netbook around I'd go for a QHY5 either "the Vaninalla" one or the "V" variant if you fancy a bit of lunar/planetary use as well...

If your not going to have a computer around then the Synguider is an option... but its only a dedicated guidecam no good for anything else...

If the computers around I'd start out with one of the QHY5's...

Peter...

I've been scratching my chin over this.

Self-contained unit, looks like it attaches to a synta finder shoe so no additional mounting hardware is required. Camera is a QHY5.

Yeah thats a finder scope guider, but it seems a little expensive?

I think somewhere on SGL there is a thread on these.

Hi JeroKane, see what i am looking for is a guider, I have a sony A100 DSLR for imaging at the moment, Im just not sure whether to buy this for guiding or not.... is CCD better for guiding than CMOS, but dont forget the CMOS has a bigger sensor, is it more sensitve?

I will be using a 1/4" nose piece for guiding, will the bigger sensor have a problem with this ???

thanks all

If you just want a good guider which will work with PHD and your system, then the QHY5 is a good choice.

You can always go for a CCD camera later and still use the QHY5 for guiding the new one!

I found the QHY5 a nightmare. Not once did I ever manage to find a guide star.

In every case I removed the QHY5 and inserted the DMK and there were several to choose from... It just doesn't seem to be sensitive enough.

The Lodestars (I haven't got one - but I know a fair few people that have) seem to be excellent camera's.

Ant

I found the QHY5 a nightmare. Not once did I ever manage to find a guide star.

In every case I removed the QHY5 and inserted the DMK and there were several to choose from... It just doesn't seem to be sensitive enough.

The Lodestars (I haven't got one - but I know a fair few people that have) seem to be excellent camera's.

Ant

Wow Ant, I wonder if you had a duff one? Never haver trouble finding a guide star with my QHY5 even on a 50mm finderscope.

My original QHY5 did die and get replaced after a few runs with it.

Ant,

I've been using the QHY5 for guiding with the spectroscope for the last two years. I use a beamsplitter for guiding. I've never, honestly, had a problem finding or guiding on a star. I accept they're not the best camera in the world, but seem to have found a well respected niche as a guider.

When you take a "normal" image with the camera, what settings do you have to use? Could be there is something wrong with it??

I've not had any issues with finding a guidestar with the 5v Ant, and that has a smaller chip than the 5. The biggest headache I had with it, was getting the drivers to work, that took several hours and I'm glad I did it during the day.

I've not had any issues with finding a guidestar with the 5v Ant, and that has a smaller chip than the 5. The biggest headache I had with it, was getting the drivers to work, that took several hours and I'm glad I did it during the day.

They can be a pain, also use the same USB port for the QHY5 otherwise it needs the drivers installed again.

Okay thanks for that guys, im now looking for a S/H QHY5, i have put an ad in the wanted section, if anybody has one or knows of anyone wanting to lose one then please let me know, thanks

Keiran

The QHY5 is also a fantastic little lunar and planetary camera, both in colour and black and white versions.

Also having T threads its very versatile connection wise, though you can of course use 1.25" or 2" nose pieces you can also screw it directly to other connectors, such as the rear of the WO's reducers.

Archived