Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher OIII filter.

I bought a 2" Skywatcher OIII from FLO 2 weeks ago. Used it briefly last week in the garden. The results were very good, it was worth every penny. My initial findings were:

12" dob without OIII - Veil found but incredibly faint. Just about see it by moving the scope about.

12" dob with OIII - Veil now popped out and couldn't be missed. Don't get me wrong, it still wasn't bright but there was no missing it or mistaking it.

4" refractor without OIII - Veil could not be detected.

4" refractor with OIII - Veil found but quite faint. But still slightly easier to see than the 12" without the OIII.

We also used the OIII at a dark sky site on Saturday night. This time the OIII allowed us to see some finer detail in the Veil that was not possible from the garden. Also, everyone agreed that the OIII really improved the view of all relevent targets (M27, M57, M97, M16).

What i personally like about the Skywatcher version is the fact it works just as well with my 4" refractor as it does with the 12" dob. And only £69 for the 2" version.

• 5 years later...
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived