Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New PUSHTO for the Rev.

justin138

Well, whilst waiting for the clouds to clear last night, i finally made the setting circles for the Rev and fitted them this morning. Just need to print off a scale for the bearing and then it'll be another successful mod out the way!

(Thanks to Geppeto for clarifying things for me!)

Justin

post-13012-133877323209_thumb.jpg

post-13012-133877323216_thumb.jpg

post-13012-133877323221_thumb.jpg

Now I hadn't thought about the base needing to be level! An inclinometer sounds like a fine idea, a quick search turned up this:

http://www.ukge.com/uk/product.asp?P_ID=256&PT_ID=133&numPageStartPosition=1

I thought Maplin did them but can't find them on their site.

The scope also performs a lot better without the ring of bearings as originally fitted. I replaced this a while back with PTFE pads which give a nice amount of friction as the bearings were too free moving and I had a wildly spinning scope! (well, maybe a slight exaggeration!)

Cheers

Justin

Nice one Justin 8)

Also consider a couple of bright red led's powered from a simple switched battery box

to light up the scales.

led.jpg

And, some washers made out of plastic milk carton between all the rubbing

surfaces of the azimuth bolt assembly.

Re the inclinometer, I'm thinking of making a larger version of the Axminster one.

A larger scale on a chunk of MDF with a strip of fridge door magnet on its base to fix to the OTA.

The indicator will be a short length of string with a paper hangers plumb bob weight on the end.

If it was good enough to build Roman roads with, it'll be good enough for us :wink:

I used to have manual setting circles on my old Dob and, while an inclinomter is a nice touch, if you use to program called DobPC to find the objects then it will allow for the Dob base not being level when you set up using the alignment stars. An unlevel base just equates to a change in latitude and longitude, Dob PC just alters the values you enter based on the alignment stars.

Cheers for the link Gaz, couple of problems though! The program runs on a PC and costs! That assumes you can guess where to download it from as the links on the site are dead.

I have ordered an inclinometer (cheers Gordon!) and will stick with Startrak on the trusty Psion (small and cheap!) Report to follow......

Justin

Right gang, 'first light' as it were for the PUSHTO system...

Psion and Star Trak at the ready, I fitted the inclinometer and pointed the scope at M31 having first roughly lined up the azimuth scale to North. Comparing the readings on the azimuth dial, the inclinometer and the Psion, the Psion was miles out! A quick check of the time on the Psion told me it was correct and after 1/2 hour I realised it was on a.m not p.m :shock: so, back outside again...

I lined up the azimuth circle using M31 (Polaris being behind a tree!) then told the Psion to give me the co-ordinates for Uranus as I'd been trying to find it for weeks visually.

Using the co-ordinates it gave me, I dialled in the scope, looked in the eyepiece........................and there it was! Tried again on Capella, spot on in the centre of the eyepiece.

In conclusion then, for what the PUSHTO system cost (£13 for the inclinometer and some scrap hardboard), it was a very worthy upgrade. Now to find a cheapy digital inclinometer as the analogue one has quite a small scale on it.

Thanks to Gordon for pointing me to Axminster for the inclinometer and Phil for clarifying some points whilst I was having a blonde moment!

Cheers

Justin

Archived