Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The SkyScout

I am an iPhone developer so have downloaded ALL the iPhone apps for astronomy. I also have The Sky X, Stellarium, etc etc. I can use any of these to find out what is in the sky at any one time.

Where the Sky Scout really comes into its own is in the real situation of stepping outside, seeing something, and finding out what it actually is. Being an electronics guy I am amazed at the accuracy obtained. Once it has locked on you can just point it at an object. Click on the locate button and it tells you what you are looking at.

I have not shown it to my son yet but he will absolutely love it. He is always pointing to something and saying "is that Saturn?", the Sky Scout will tell him for certain what it is and also give him some useful information about it.

I love it!

Yup - I got one for her indoors last xmas and she loves it. Also very helpful when I want an alignment star if the finder isn't properly aligned with the tube and I'm struggling in the dark to get set up. All I have to do is ask and she's right on it :D

I've heard the accuracy is about two degrees - does that sound right?

I'm not too sure to be honest. The first time i tried mine out it was out by 180 degrees. I was staring at the moon and the Skyscout was telling me that the moon was behind me.

Hmm, guess that's why you sold it!

The price makes it tempting and I wondered about fixing one on a dob but I've heard about its sensitivity to metals, and the accuracy would limit its use as a finder (even at 2 degrees instead of 180). Still, it sounds like a great gadget so I'm sure I'll succumb eventually.

I was gutted when i realized the one sold here recently was in Euro's .. would of got it instantly then.

I keep looking in hope to find a cheap one again.

Ive got one in the sale section..Here

When I had my Astrotrac it was invaluable finding wide field targets..

I didnt know where the Rose nebula was, Andromeda... etc..

I cant be bothered with a paper chart, and the constellations are drowned in a dark site... :)

Guy...

Archived