Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

slr camera help

LITTLE COL

That should work OK as it has a B setting. You can use whatever film is still available, maybe 1600 print film? The camera's meter might only work to 400 but thats irrelevant for what you want to do. You will definitely need to get the alignment and tracking perfectly tuned before you start messing with wet pictures though.

Captain Chaos

it could be more hassle than i'ts worth...

I don't mean to put you off or anything but you could be playing out there on a perfect night clicking away thinking you've captured the perfect image..

In reality the process lab will get it all wrong and every print will come back with a little sticker on it saying..

"Remove Lens Cap!" :wink:

If you do have a go the first image should be a dark frame and tell the process lab that you have been taking astro photo's.

I played with B&W film in the 80's as I used to do my own developing and printing...That could be your other option a lot cheaper and more rewarding in the long run...

I might have some darkroom stuff for sale if you're interested.

Greg

cheers guys i will give it a whirl , a big whirl by the sound of things , thanks for the advise and hopefully fingers /arms/legs and everything else crossed i will post you on how i get on!!

maybee i will be the lucky one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i will definatlly tell them what i am photographing as advised

:grin::wink:

Remember to take a note of the frame number and all the settings.....Guaranteed when you do get the image right...You won't remember how you did it. :wink:

And remember to scan em up and put em on here!

Good Luck

Greg

Col,

number one tip when taking astro photos on film........always shoot the first 3-4 frames in daylight. This helps the process lab no end and makes sure your film is cut correctly.

As James says, always provide a covering note explaining what they are. Or else you may only get the negatives back.

7 Day Shop in Guernsey sell a range of films and more importantly they are films that are suitable for astrophotography, such as Kodak Ektachrome 200 and Fuji Sensia/Provia 400.

Don't get worked up about ISO ratings, high ISO is not important. Kodak Ektachrome 200 is about as good as it gets for long exposure.

Experiment with some star trails. No other format does this type of image as well as film....it rules for star trails. And you don't need any fancy kit. Just a tripod, camera, 50mm lens or wider and cable release. Remember to stop down the lens to f5.6 or perhaps f8.

The Zenith is the perfect astrophotography film camera, so no worries there. I still have mine, had it 23 years now. Still use the lens on my 300D.

Have fun

Russ

Archived