NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Been cruising....

Helen

This is more of an observing jotting than a report really ;)

I've just had a fun couple of hours (it was only supposed to be half an hour given work tomorrow :D) just cruising around the sky with the C11. It was quite still, not very cold, and just nice to be out under the stars.

All observing with just a revelation 24mm 2 inch eyepiece (should have used the UWAN, but I wasn't able to rebalance the C11 on my own).

I started with globs as I haven't seen these in a big scope before. M3 was first and the extra aperture showed me a view that made be gasp and then grin a lot :D I'd had a look last night in the Megrez 90, but this was something else! I just looked and watched as the definition improved. Then on to M13, bigger and more detail in the outer section giving it more shape. Again just stared (on and off to improved resolution). M94 was next, and although this is often overlooked, I really like it!

Then there was the Ring Nebula - briefly, but with clear definition. And on to the Dumbell, which was a clear applecore shape!

And a few galaxies to finish. M81 and 82 looked OK, but I couldn't see them both in the same field of view and so somehow they didn't look as good as usual. A quick look at M64 the Blackeye, spotted a bit of definition and the hint of the blackeye, but nothing more. The sunflower was a disappointment, but M51 the Whirlpool made up for it! I've never seen these galaxies in a large scope, and so I was suitably impressed :)

To round it all off I slewed to Alberio, which I love - a lovely end to the cruise :)

Off to bed happy! (may be less happy when the alarm goes off in the morning :))

Helen

Nice report Helen - globular clusters really come to life with aperture :)

I setup my 10" newtonian tonight, snapped a few pics (posted in the equipment galleries) and had a gander at Saturn and Mars - then a cloud layer arrived :D

As it looked set in, I packed up and an hour later it's all clear of course :D

I'm pleased you had a good session with the C11 - I know what you mean about the prospect of work in the morning - I'm glad I work from home mostly now !.

Sounds like you had a wonderful couple of hours Helen thanks for sharing it with us. Aperture really is the key to Globs, the larger the aperture the more stars you will resolve.

Archived