Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

South Coast Astro Group - 11th May observing

SCAG held it's second observing session on the 11th May 2010. A last minute thing due to the planned date (8th May) being clouded out.

The Turf Hill, New Forest site was used again. It's easy to access, has great all round horizon and nice dark skies. Although we did discover its one flaw......it's not remote enough! The local boy racer club dropped in to say hi. Gave a us a demo of wheel spinning, donuts and engine revving. Thought the night would be cut short. But lo and behold they popped across to say hello. Turned out to be very pleasent indeed and took a real interest in the scopes and the sky. They seemed geniunely impressed by what they saw and were very grateful for the time we gave them. What a turn up for the books!!!!! Seems David Cameron was right after all.......hug a hoodie!

Skies were fantastic, real dream stuff. I going to say i had my best ever view of M13 through Tim's C11. It was gobsmacking, one of those moments when the visuals really did match and surpass the glossy images. And M3 was pretty close too. While M82 proved to have the wow factor amongst the many (there were lots) galaxies we observed. M97 and M108 together didn't fail to disappoint either.

ISS popped over to say hi, as well as a few meteors too. Milkyway was just rising as we packed up.

A great night indeed! Next observing session will be July 11th.

Sounds like you had a blast.

Glad to hear the "Hug a hoodie" WORKS :), be nice if they changed their hobby !

I know what you mean about M13 in a C11, Steve(FLO) bought a CPC1100 to Kelling a few years ago. The only thing I looked at was M13 and it blew my socks off... as you say - it's exactly as you see in the glossy magazines.

Cheers

Ant

Sounds like you had a great time. Is Turf Hill going to be a regular, because that's not that far from me and I'd love to come and join you some time. let me know when your next out. My neighbour has mounted solar powered lights on every fence post in his garden, you can probably almost see them from Turf Hill :)

Jem.

Hey guys, Im new here and new in the astronomical field (it was my birthday on saturday and was totally surprised by the gift of a telescope, which ive always wanted). I live close to southampton and was looking for a club to join and ive stumbled upon 'scag' and would like to join.

let me know :D

Archived