Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Getting about

Hi All,

First post on here barring my intro post...

Got myself a shiny new Sky-Watcher Explorer 130PM as a first scope and am really excited to start using it (once the skies clear up!). I have a question which may or may not have been covered here, had a search but couldn't find anything.

I was wondering what people with the same or similar scopes and mounts use to transport them around in. I've been looking for a carry case or bag to protect it but can't find much at all online.

Can anyone help with a carry/storage solution for the Explorer 130PM?

Ta very much :)

Hi Marcellus & welcome. If you are asking about transporting your scope in a car, that is something I do quite often. The mount can go in the boot, then if you have to brake heavily you wont be wearing it :) The tube is more delicate. I use a box, lined with thick foam, placed on the back seat & secured with the seatbelts. The final stretch of road to my club's dark site is very bumpy & I dont want to spend half the night collimating ;) For storage, somewhere secure, dust free & cool (reducing cooldown time after setting up outside) & near as possible to where you will use it is best. You can use the same transport box for storage. Sometimes you have to compromise ( I have to hump my kit down a flight of stairs. ) Hope this helps, Ed.

I found the box that my tube came in, along with a load of bubble wrap keeps it nice and snug, that on the back seat, mount in the boot and away you go. Can even put a seatbelt on the tube if you really fancy it.

When storing my kit at home - it remains fully assembled in the garage.

When moving it in the car, I tend to lay a sleeping bag down in the boot and then place the various parts down so they are touching - this helps stop / reduce any movement.

Then another sleeping bag on top.

When I had a largish Newt OTA, like the 200P I would lay the tube across the back seat and use the seat belt to secure...

Cheers

Ant

Thanks for your help guys, I will see if I can rebuild the original box as I broke it down for recycling.... If not I will get some foam and an alternative box/bag.

Seatbelts are a great idea too.... Haven't even looked into collimation yet so don't fancy having to do after a bumpy journey just yet.

So much to learn :)

Thanks again

Old Blankets, lots of those gray removal carpet protectors (I was left them) and a few cheap cushions stop my scope moving too much..

Believe me, you don't want ~150lb of scope dropping into your lap under heavy braking !

Archived