NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Quick advice needed

My only concern with the SLT is the upgarde potential. From what Rob says the Skymax will work on it but will be at the limit of the mount. :wink:

Thanks for all the links - they are really useful. All replies are much appreciated.

An adapter kit can be bought from Telescope Service which will adapt the mount to use the standard Vixen dovetail format.

I didn't know that. Who makes it Russ?

Justin, the Nexstar mount is probably more sturdy than the SLT but less sturdy than the EQ3 or your EQ5

Thanks for all your help, I have decided to consider this a bit more (easier since my mother has shown unwilling to get the scope anyway!)

I may well stick with my plan of getting a CG5 or LXD75 goto mount.

It's great to have help making these decisions.

For GOTO your cheapest option is the CG5-GT. You could also look at upgrading your existing EQ5 with dual drive/goto control but it's probably cheaper and easier to sell your EQ5 and buy the CG5. If you want a longer lasting option though i would advice you save a little more and get the HEQ5. It's a more substantial mount but it is more acurate for photography and quieter than the CG5. It is also more money though.

Archived