Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Scope: Skymax 127 Supatrak or Skywatcher 150p EQ3-2?

Scope for a noob (see post for requirements)  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Scope for a noob (see post for requirements)

• SkyMax 127 Supatrak
    • Skywatcher Explorer 150p EQ3-2
    • Niether of these... They're rubbish.

Note to Mods: Please feel free to move this to the 'Beginners Help and Advice' forum as I posted here in error. Sorry 'bout that. Got lost.

---------------------------------------------

Hi all,

Firstly, my name is Matty and I'm a total noob. :)

I've done a fair bit of research and I've begun Ninian Boyle's beginners e-course to get a feel for the hobby before purchasing my fist scope in June.

I am totally torn on which scope to get, but I have settled on one of the following:

SkyMax 127 Supatrak

Skywatcher Explorer 150p EQ3-2

I understand that the SkyMax is more portable, better for planets, etc., whilst the Explorer is better for DSO's and has a greater aperture, giving higher contrast views.

I am interested in the possibility of astrophotography and I expect my interest will be the planets at this point. Most of all, I want to buy a scope that will be able to serve as my only scope for the next few years. As I've already said, I'm starting from scratch with this hobby. I live in a relatively high light pollution area (suburban) and I am considering the Mak as I like the idea of a quick, easy set up over the EQ3-2 150p should I venture out into the night away from the dreaded LP.

I'm looking forward to contributing here and I would really appreciate some advice on which scope to start with. Please ask if you need more info.

Thank you very much indeed. ;)

It's a tough one and there's plenty of swings and roundabouts with this choice. But my feeling is the 150P/EQ3 are the better combo. Although short on focal length it is still a very capable planetary scope and with a suitable 4-5x barlow, a good planetary imaging scope. A combination of extra aperture and faster focal ratio will make it a far superior deepsky tool.

The Mak actually has the better contrast due to its smaller secondary obstruction and the optics are razor sharp. Plus it holds collimation much, much better than the 150P. It will also work very well with cheap eyepieces where as the 150P, being an f5, will not be happy.

The 150P/EQ3 will be the more robust setup. I've tried the 127 on the Supatrak and it wasn't the most steady of setups. The tripod is rubbish and worst still, it needs to be extended for use with the 127 making things worse. Things were decidely wobbly at high power. That would be incredibly annoying for the planets.

With the 150P you can attach a motor focus unit to the crayford giving imageshift and shake free focusing........total bliss! The downside to the 150P/EQ3 is the setup time compared to the 127/Supatrak.

The Mak is a great telescope, there is a thread on the forum from very satisfied users. The reflector is probably a better alround telescope and the EQ3-2 is more versatile. If you are considering some DSO photography the EQ mount with the optional motor drives is probably a better option than the supatak. The supatrak is quicker to set up for the beginner but the Mak takes about an hour or so to cool down to ambient temperature to get the best out of it, the 150P takes a little less time.

Peter

Thanks for your thoughts Russ and Peter.

This is exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Note to Mods: Please feel free to move this to the 'Beginners Help and Advice' forum as I posted here in error. Sorry 'bout that. Got lost.

I used to have the 127 on the EQ3 back in 2003. But in the end i found the 127 too restrictive as an 'only scope' and had to add a Startravel 120 to compliment it. It was a great combination. The ST120 gave a huge FOV and much more satisfying deepsky views. The 127 on the EQ3 was a superb combination and with a Toucam Pro, was my planetary imaging setup for late 2003.

You can buy the Mak127 with a EQ3-2 mount as well.

There are 3 package deals with the Mak127.

- Mak127 + Alt/Az Sysncan GoTo

- Mak127 + Alt/Az SupaTrack

- Mak127 + EQ3-2

Hi JeroKane

Thanks for your reply. I'm aware of the different packages for the Mak127, but my budget only allows me to have the Supatrak. I'm going to avoid GOTO for my first scope as I want to learn the skies.

My absolute max I can spend is £300, but I only really want to spend £250.

Thanks again for the reply.

Matty

Don't forget the 150P/EQ3 won't include the drives. But these can be added anytime. If you go the 150P, i highly recommend one of these (when you can afford it):

Misc’ - SkyWatcher Auto Focuser

No touching the scope to focus. If you have the motors too there's no need to touch anything, which means no shakes at all unless there is a wind.

Don't forget the 150P/EQ3 won't include the drives. But these can be added anytime. If you go the 150P, i highly recommend one of these (when you can afford it):

Misc’ - SkyWatcher Auto Focuser

No touching the scope to focus. If you have the motors too there's no need to touch anything, which means no shakes at all unless there is a wind.

Lovely, thanks for the advice Russ! I'll def look into an Auto Focuser if I get the scope. :)

At this point it's looking like the 150p EQ3-2 for me.

Also, I always planned to add the drive later as I know I'll need one if I ever venture into astrophotography, as is my plan. That's one of the reasons the Mak127 Supatrak looks like a good deal as no additional drive required.

Matty

Just keep an eye on the secondhand ads. EQ3 dual drives can come up for as low as £25. I can see how the Supatrak would appeal with the drives already included but you are much better off with a nice stable platform for the scope.

Just keep an eye on the secondhand ads. EQ3 dual drives can come up for as low as £25.

Great advice! Thanks again!

I can see how the Supatrak would appeal with the drives already included but you are much better off with a nice stable platform for the scope.

This confirms what I was already thinking. I did read somewhere that the Supatrak is pretty sturdy; certainly sturdy enough for the Mak127. But a Mak127 and a camera? Pushing it I would have thought.

Thanks again for the excellent advice. This is helping me get my thoughts together nicely.

Matty

I don't know the Supatrack mount but do you have to steer it to an object with the handset buttons? Or can you release the clutches and steer it by hand before engaging the drives?

Personally I would rather do the main slew by hand. I find it incredibly irritating when condemned to use only the handset buttons for slews. It may just be me, of course, but I find it uncomfortable and un-intuitive...

Olly

OK, a strange thing has happened. I've had a real think about GOTO vs 'manual'.

I mentioned earlier that I wanted to learn the skies and therefor GOTO was out of the question.

Well, following a long conversation and much thinking, I have decided a GOTO is probably best for me to begin with. Also, it needs to be relatively compact. There are personal reasons for this; in other words I know what I'm like and I need to make astronomy as easy to 'break into' as I possibly can. That's just me (lazy?), despite how I would prefer to be. I don't want to buy something I'll just shy away from using regularly.

So, I'm also lifting my budget a little.

I saw the Celestron 4SE on the Gadget Show earlier. Nice looking scope. How does it compare to the 127Mak GOTO? I like the fact the 4SE uses GPS for positioning. The tripod is more solid, isn't it?

Thanks to everyone who answered previously. It's all helping me decide.

Cheers!

Archived