Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Spot the asterism! :-)

This particular asterism always charms me when I trip over it - which is often. It looks like the coathanger but it's much smaller than that. It's quite distinctive and shows up well even in binoculars and small scopes. It always grabbed my attention

But does anyone here come across this one often too?

It's time to play "spot the asterism"! :)

Can anyone name the constellation where this can be found? (no cheating!)

Also - for interest - does anyone know if this asterism has a name or if there are any interesing facts about it?

post-17772-133877446475_thumb.png

No correct guesses so far.

Here it is again (circled), as seen in 12x50 binoculars, to give a sense of scale, in full simulated London light-polluted Stellarium beauty. Despite its small size, it does catch your eye when panning around in real life.

post-17772-133877446477_thumb.png

astrometry.net found it very quickly!

Yes, that would fall under the "cheating" category, I'd say! :)

I'll post the answer tomorrow morning if no-one's got it by then...

(I thought someone would spot it straight away, to be honest!)

I've got it :):hello2:;)

Perseus.

The asterism is known as it stands, because it's masked by the fame of the object(s) that sits right in the middle of it - the Perseus double cluster.

There's a very nice cascade of stars that goes upwards from the cluster (at this orientation), which is lovely to view wide-field.

Andrew

Right.... Thoroughly embarrassed! However, I have to say it's amazing how similar it looks to the bright stars around the DC, although much smaller.

I didn't realise quite how small the shape was.

Andrew

I didn't realise quite how small the shape was.

Small - but bright too - it really cuts through the LP in London skies. Another curious thing that I've discovered about this attractive little multiple companion to Zeta Cephei, is that Alpha Cephei has a similar multiple companion too - and at a similar distance. I've shown Alpha Cephei's companion in blue in the picture below (also Zeta's one in green, as before).

Worth a look - they're pretty.

post-17772-133877446641_thumb.png

Archived