NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Latest Delivery from Astroboot...

Psychobilly

Ok Finally think I have the "prototype" autoguiding setup setup the way I want it... thankss to todays delivery from the "Astroboot"

We now have an AE RDF on the DSLR Hotshoe... (took a bit more time with the dremmel on this one...)

And a 6x30 Corrected Viewfinder in a modified mount for the Alignment....

The Manfrotto 488 RC2 (Midi) B&S Head allows me to position the Camera for framing...

I think I am starting to get to grips with things EQ....

So I think this photo shows the Setup being used to image towards the Northeast with the Camera long axis aligned to DEC ("landscape") and the guidecam aligned to RA/DEC

NorthEast.jpg

Peter...

The prototype has been useful...

I have got to bring the dovetail all the way back to the B&S head and it should be ok for Dec balancing without any additional weights especially if I lengthen the bar slightly...

Also going to mount the Guider lens slightly further forward...

Then wait for pay day to get a new motor for the milling machine to copy it in Ally...

Peter...

If the results are as good as the rig Peter, we have a treat ahead of us.

Some great wide field work planned now I'd say.

Just a question. What is the white band at the foot of the adjusting bolts on the mount. There appears to be wording on it.:D.

Ron.

Cheers Ron ,

Should be better when it's in Ally...

The Writing...Lat Long and Elevation of the pier - sad I know - I left the blueetooth GPS on it with Visual GPS running in Survey mode until it reported the lowest error......

It means after being away I dont have to get the GPS out again ... and can make sure I use the same values set in the Planetarium software, EQmod etc...

I have been creating FOV indicators in TheSky6 for my prime lenses... I can't wait for Cygnus to "return"... hoping to get a chance of a preview before dawn one morning... I can also get Orions Belt down through Orions Sword in the FOV with the 180mm f3.5 APO :D

I also have some plans for some darkskies sites for Milkway shots over landmarks in the landscape .. but like everything I plan the weather seems to get in the way...

This years been diure again :p

Peter...

Hi Peter.

The "ball socket" bracket holding the camera - what is the correct

name for this and where can I get one?

I am hoping to build a simple barn door tracking device.

Thanks in advance.

Austin

Austin,

It is a Manfrotto 488 RC2 Ball Head. Ebay, or any decent camera shop sells them.

Manfrotto is one of the better (read expensive) manufacturers of photography mounting gear, but worth every penny.

Cheers

Ian

Austin,

It is a Manfrotto 488 RC2 Ball Head. Ebay, or any decent camera shop sells them.

Manfrotto is one of the better (read expensive) manufacturers of photography mounting gear, but worth every penny.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks Ian.

Austin

A very impressive set up Peter, and I'm sure in your expert hands will be amazing.

Oh Dear...:)

I have been struggling with things EQ but think I am finally getting there ..

The B&S head is to allow me to largely ignore the need to meridian flip at least when doing widefield as I will just offset the camera in RA...

Peter...

Archived