Which william optics???

Ok so i have decided i 'need' a medium size apo for taking with me to dark sites as my Intes MN68 is too big in its wooden crate and the megrez 72 is not big enough to really satisfy me!

I have wittled it down to buying a new Megrez 102, FLT 98 carbon fiber or a second hand 110 TEC.

Any suggesstions? The shear beauty of the 98 CF is making me lean towards it and simon at the widescreen said he owns the aluminum one and it was the best scope WO had ever produced!

I will only use it for visual initially but will progress into imaging at a later date, but not for a while as i'm enjoying visual too much!

prices are £800 megrez

£1400 FLT 98 and

£1100 for the second hand TEC

Any advice would be appreciated.

many thanks,

Adam

Forget the Megrez 102, not one of the better scopes WO has ever made, and not worthy of consideration compared to the FLT98 and 110 TEC.

I have the ali tube FLT98 with a Feather Touch R&P focuser and it is a fantastic scope. The carbon tube version has the smaller focuser, but the focuser is miles better than the DDG one that comes with the ali tube version and will be fine for visual use. The WO 110 with the TEC lens is fairly rare as they didn't produce many of them before switching to their own WO lens.

Tough decision as they're both great scopes. The FLT98 carbon tube is smaller and lighter and more portable but at £1100.00 the 110 TEC is a steal. In fact the price is so cheap for a TEC lens It makes me suspicious. I would want to see proof first that it is actually a TEC lens.

John

i have a number of photos of the TEC and it definately is one! My only concern is when i'm spending that much money getting a new one gives the secruity of warrenty, help from the shop etc if there are any problems. However i have read CN review of the TEC and people have put it on par with the televue NPs and Taks.

The 110 TECs usually go for about £1500.00 to £1750.00 so that is indeed a great buy providing the optics are in good order.

I bought my FLT98 from Ian King Imaging as Ian really knows what he is talking about and gives great advice. FLO is also very good as well.

John

Just a warning about the TEC, the objective is oil spaced & this has been known to leak leading to degradation of the image.

My 110 TMB (air spaced fluorite triplet) is pretty good optically. It's heavier than I'd like & if I was buying now I think I'd end up with the FLT 98 carbon tube.

Not being funny.... but what about a SW ED100?. nice FPL 53 lense, not too heavy. Seems like a fit to me. Its also been proven (by me and others) to equal a Celestron C8 on a visual.

Worth a thought or two

Rob

I too have the WO 110 with the TMB lens and can say that it's a very good performer for visual although I can't comment on the photography side. I haven't heard of any problems with the TEC oil-spaced lenses but I do know that some of the earlier AP oil-spaced lenses had trouble with them leaking.

but what about a SW ED100?. nice FPL 53 lense, not too heavy. Seems like a fit to me. Its also been proven (by me and others) to equal a Celestron C8 on a visual.

It's a nice scope for the price ... but not in the same league as a good triplet.

As for "equalling a C8", you gotta be kidding ... even a C5 (properly collimated) will blow the best 4" scopes away in terms of resolution and light grasp. Sure you get a wider field with the frac, but that is far from everything.

Thanks guys,

i think i'll try and arrange to have a look through the TEC and then decide. It does seem cheap and that is why i haven't already snapped it up without seeing / viewing it first, but the carbon body on the flt does look very nice! Oh the dilema??

The secondhand TEC 110 sounds the business, providing all is good with it. I would have a hard job choosing an FLT98 with the offer of a TEC on the table. And the Megrez 102 is too close in price to a SW 120 Pro. And having been less than happy with the WO scopes i've owned, the Megrez wouldn't be on my shortlist.

After much umming and arrhhing i've decided i'll buy the FLT 98. I'll transfer some money and order it on Saturday. There were just too may uncertainties with the 110 TEC and logistical problems. The 98 CF is also only 3.8 kg and 500 mm long so truly is portable and according to the 2008 S@N review it can still take 300X mag on good nights so i think thats whats sold it for me!

Thanks for all the input!

You won't be disappointed with the FLT98. Amazing optics. Have you contacted Ian at Ian King Imaging? He really is the expert on the FLT98 and gives good honest advice, and his service is second to none as well.

John

I haven't talked to Ian King Imaging yet as Simon at the widescreen centre said he could do it for £150 less than what the price on Ian Kings website so i can get a 5X powermate too. I have heard excellent things about his service though so perhaps i'll give him a call and see if he can match that price.

Archived