NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Light pollution V ampature

mark RD

I'm in a middle of a injury claim at the moment if all goes well I hope to get about £3000, out of the three grand Im thinking of putting £1000 or so towards a new scope and mount. or At least a new mount as I have been unhappy with the one that I got from Sky's unlimited, the second mount I got from them is not that great neither.

Im thinking on lines of a 10" skywatcher on either a 5HEQ with goto or a EQ6.

Question is would I find it easyer to find faint fuzzys with a bigger scope,

RD

If you get the GOTO mount then finding 'should' be a given - and a 10" flector should make seeing em pretty good too from what I have heard today. And there are lots of filters out there to add contrast if need be - hopefully someone here will be able to advise in which are best with a scope like this.

One of the nice things about large apertures is that using filters becomes viable.

Filters reduce light; on a smaller scope, say < 6 inches, the lightloss is unacceptable and offsets any advantage. On a bigger scope the loss is less significant and the benefits of filters become apparent - at least thats been my experience.

One of the nice things about large apertures is that using filters becomes viable.

Filters reduce light; on a smaller scope, say < 6 inches, the lightloss is unacceptable and offsets any advantage. On a bigger scope the loss is less significant and the benefits of filters become apparent - at least thats been my experience.

Thanks for that Steve thats a valuable peice of info, I have an o111 filter but I have never used it, Just hope I win the accident clain, its looking good at the mom

RD

I would not rule out using filters in smaller scopes - it just depends which filter. I have just been trying out my Baader UHC-S filter (essentially a Narrowband filter) in my ED100 and ST80 scopes and it made a significant difference on nebulas. I was able to find the Owl and Veil nebulas in both scopes - the 1st time I have ever seen the latter. When I removed the filter I could not see either object at all. I guess the benefits would be even greater with more aperture. I also found that this filter improved the views of the galaxies M31 and M32 which was a pleasant suprise. I have read that an OIII filter would be unlikely to benefit smaller scopes though - I believe that 8 inches and up is the point where one of these really starts to deliver.

John,

North Somerset

Well I can see from reading all this that apertures the way to go, hopefully I should have a buget of £1000 although I could stretch to £1300 for something really good and that would have to have a goto on it. I guess ( to the grones of some I know ) a skywatcher 10inch with an QE6 + goto

RD

Archived