Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

bbc 2 right now!!!!

skye at night

hmm,

just watched it. not all that brilliant (not dissin the presenter and producers etc) but it was a little back to basics, might have thought with Coxy and Wonders of the Solar System that anymore programs from the BBC on space would be more intricate, tonights program hinted at the olden days of Horizon.

Anyway still a good introduction to cosmology through the centuries for the layman. Few issues with it...mainly the presenters pronunciation of Tycho (not 'teek-o') and Johannes (not 'yo-han-nes')

Also what happened to the 20/30/40 years after Hubble with the finding of the CMBR (which eventually led to the Big Bang theory) ? Likewise he also forget to mention the small fact that Hubble was accompanied by Milton Humason who did alot of the work and also Vesto Slipher who Hubble might of swiped a few ideas from i.e. radial veolcities! Love the way they always forget to mention the people who did the majority of the work.

Should have dedicated the hour to the discovery of the expansion of the universe rather than cram in two of the most major discoveries in the last 5 minutes.

I liked the olden days feel about it, not as much swelling music, or as many swooping shots over nice locations as Cox'z series. It was very much a whistle stop overview though - lot to fit into an hour

lol,

I get what you mean, i wasn't having a go to much and i appreciate how much work goes into those programs, especially to cater for everyone's needs and fill an hour etc etc. Just my annoyance is on how the BBC can get away with providing a program which covers too many aspects and doesn't go into enough detail. They should have dedicated an hour to each of the main persons, i.e. that of Galileo, Hubble and Newton. There is a lot more to Newton for instance than his work on gravity, he also worked on spectra and worked in the royal mint along with the Tower of London.

They also left out the Babylonians, Herschel family and the actual finding of Cepheid Variables....maybe I should make my own program! : p

Sounds like a good program I'd watch it, just dont put too much Sigur Ross in the soundtrack!

I like finding out how nuts a lot of the breakthrough scientists were, Newton discovering pretty much everything, but not telling anyone. Tycho Bra-heeee with his clairvoyant dwarf and drunk elk. I like Bill Bryson's history of everything book for the same reason.

Archived